Chapter VI

Gingko saw him.

The handsome IceWing prince, glimmering with countless scales. Eyes pools of the deepest blue. His talons curved inwards perfectly. The best face ever to exist.

Gingko sighed dreamily, imagining what a paradise it would be to live with him. But...could he ever truly love her? A hybrid? She had no idea if he thought she was beautiful. She had only seen him once, walking ever so magnificently in the hallway. She tried to gather up the courage to talk to him, but she found herself too shy. She didn't even know who he was!

Talonsteps sounded outside her door. There was a single, loud rap on the icy door. Gingko tumbled off the bed and replied: "Come in."

The door creaked as it opened. Gingko gasped silently. It was the IceWing prince again. "Hi," he said. "My mom wants you in the courtyard." Gingko walked to the door and pushed it open completely. The rest of his body seemed so handsome. Gingko turned red, trying to avoid eye contact. She opened her jaws, ready to speak-

"What's your name?" The prince cut her off, blue eyes full of curiosity. Gingko did her best not to blush as she replied. "It's Gingko."

The prince stared at her in wonder. "You're not an IceWing," he said at last. "What are you?" Gingko couldn't help but roll her eyes. "What am I? Oh, I'm just an SandWing-RainWing hybrid. Nothing too crazy."

The prince opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by an angry shout from below. "Uh-oh," Ginkgo muttered. "I better get going." She spread her wings and flew off, leaving the prince in her dust.

The queen was a bit annoyed when Gingko finally arrived. "Where were you?" she hissed, lashing her tail. "Next time I expect you to be right on time!" Gingko bowed her head. "Now, without any further delays, "Queen Snowshoe snarled. "We have decided you are ready. What we didn't tell you last time was that we have an alliance with the SandWings in the war. But unfortunately, after our incident with the SeaWings, they have sided with the NightWings."

The queen sighed, now not angry at Gingko in the slightest. "But I needed to get you. Even if it causes us to become the SeaWings' eternal enemies."Queen Snowshoe buried her face deeply in her talons. "But I feel I've made a terrible mistake."

Gingko almost felt sorry for the queen. She tried to cheer her up. "But you have me!" she said. "I'm sure you can win the war. I'll fight my hardest!"

Queen Snowshoe looked up. "Will you really?" she asked, eyes full of hope. Gingko nodded. "I will, or I'll die trying." The queen's face morphed into a smile. "Thank you, Gingko," she whispered. "What do you want in return?"

Gingko thought long and hard, staring at the sky.  After a five minutes, she replied, her face going red: "Well, now that you say it, there is one thing that I want. I saw a very handsome IceWing prince - the one that you sent to get me today." She stared at Queen Snowshoe. "He was so very handsome. Will you give me your permission to marry him?"

Queen Snowshoe gaped at Gingko. No one had ever asked her to marry on of her sons. Besides, she wanted her son to marry a good and proper IceWing. She was about to refuse Gingko's request when she remembered how powerful Gingko was. She was the most dangerous dragonet - and possibly dragon - in Pyrrhia. Refusing her offer would not be safe.

She hesitated, then nodded. "Fine," she replied. "You want to marry Blizzard? You can have him." Gingko jumped up giddily. "Oh wow!" she exclaimed, doing backflips in the air. "Just think of what our dragonets will look like!"

Queen Snowshoe smiled. "It's good to see you happy." she said. "But you need to help us win the war first!" 

Gingko abruptly stopped in the air. "Of course!" she shouted. "I'd do anything to be with Blizzard!" She settled down on the ice, for once not even complaining about the coldness, even thought the queen saw her shivering.

"Oh, you're cold aren't you?" The queen flapped her wings, hovering in the sky. "I nearly forgot you weren't a IceWing! Stay right here. I'll be right back."

As she waited for Queen Snowshoe to return, Gingko sighed happily. Marrying Blizzard...wouldn't that just be amazing? Just think of what their future dragonets will look like! Somehow...somehow...Gingko knew that this would all work out in the end.