Chapter VIII

Four years had passed since Ginkgo was kidnapped to the Ice Kingdom. The IceWings were still fighting their war. They held strong, but the NightWings were surely but slowly defeating them. More blue blood was spilled every day. Now it was finally time for Ginkgo to take to the battlefield.

Ginkgo was now a grown dragon. Her powers had only increased throughout the years, and now she was truly frightening. She had waited four long years for this moment. She was more than ready.

The battlefield was near Diamond Spray Delta. It took three days for Ginkgo, accompanied by four IceWing guards, to fly there. Finally, after what seemed like years, through aching wings, they landed in the IceWing camp. 

Hundreds, if not thousands, of IceWings were huddled in ice tents, undoubtedly created by their frostbreath. They carried sharp spears crafted out of silver, eyes glinting with ferociousness. Ginkgo realized something. These IceWings were not here to fight because their queen ordered them to. They were here in their own will. This object that the NightWings stole was just as theirs as it was the queen's.

Ginkgo scanned the soldiers. Not one of them showed even a hint of fear. Instead, there was only determination. She was shocked. How could an army like this one lose a battle? Her curiosity got the best of her. She padded over to where the IceWing general was sharpening his blade on a stone. 

"Hi!" she said nervously. The IceWing stopped for a moment to stare at her, then replied gruffly: "Oh, you're that hybrid the queen was lookin' for," he paused. "What do ya want?"

Ginkgo took a step back. This IceWing was not exactly friendly. "I'll go if you want me to." she stammered. The IceWing shook his head. "Nah, it's fine. Ask whatever ya gotta ask." Ginkgo hesitated, then questioned: "Queen Snowshoe said the IceWing army is losing. What did the NightWings steal that is so powerful?"

The IceWing general's eyes blazed with fury. "Those filthy-blooded idiots!" he spat. "They never learn. We'll teach them a lesson!" He calmed a bit, but his eyes were still full of anger. "'Fraid I can't tell you. IceWing secret." He started sharpening his spear again. "You'll see, on the battlefield anyways."

Ginkgo slunk away, tail lashing behind her in frustration. She had been with the IceWings for years, and she still didn't qualify. She shook in fury. It took all her self-control not to lash out. She took a few deep breaths and calmed herself down.

She glanced at her bodyguard. "When do I begin battling?" Her guard directed her toward a bed. "Get some rest first," he replied. "We'll wake you up when it is time." Obediently, Ginkgo clambered onto the bed and closed her eyes. It wasn't like she wasn't tired. Her wings were still exhausted.

Ginkgo did not show it, but on the inside, she was smoldering. How dare they not tell her? Before the wave of sleep crashed over her, she had one final thought: should she be working for the IceWings, or should the IceWings be working for her?