Chapter IX

Gingko put one claw onto the battlefield. It felt so weird, being in a real battle for the first time. She was about to see thousands and thousands of dead dragons.

A cool wind blew over her scales. Ginkgo clenched her claws, still remembering how disrespectfully the IceWing general had treated her. After all these years, the IceWings still didn't trust her.

She paused, looking out over the horizon for any sign of approaching NightWings, but there weren't any. A strange shiver went down the back of her spine. Ginkgo glanced back at the huge army of IceWings behind her, all ready to fight for their queen. Gingko sighed and looked down at her talons. She could not decide where her loyalty belonged.

Wingbeats came from the other side. Ginkgo perked up, spotting a flash of silver scales. Quickly, she whirled around. "The NightWings are coming!" she yelled to a nearby IceWing. "Prepare to fight!" The IceWing reacted immediately, preparing his comrades for battle.

Ginkgo flattened herself against the ground, pinning back her wings and growling at the enemy. She had no idea if this was the correct thing to do in a battle because she had no experience. Well, she did have training experience, but that didn't mean she knew how to act in a real war.

The IceWing army burst into the air, stabbing with their spears at the NightWings. She watched more and more dead NightWings fall from the air, blood pouring from open wounds in their chests. It seemed like the IceWings didn't need any help at all.

But when just about every NightWing was dead, the lead NightWing held up a crystal orb up high, shooting beams of silver light toward every dead NightWing. Miraculously revived, they took back to the sky with bursts of fire.

Gingko was shocked. So this is what they stole! The NightWings slaughtered more and more IceWings, even more than the IceWings could ever kill. Rage burned deep inside Ginkgo as she watched IceWings fall from the sky. Finally, she gave in. She spread her wings and charged straight at the lead NightWing.