Chapter X

The lead NightWing was caught completely off guard as Gingko pounced on him, sinking her teeth into his scales. But he recovered quickly, whipping Ginkgo with his tail on the head. Stunned, she let go and fell from the sky. Moments before touching the ground, she snapped out of it and flapped her wings furiously back towards the sky.

Giving a roar of rage, she launched back into the sky at the head NightWing, who was now facing two angry IceWings. As she watched, one IceWing shot frostbreath at the NightWing, while the other clawed his face.  Gingko stopped, thinking that they were doing all right and didn't need her help, when something crashed into her, sending her plummeting back down toward the ground. 

She found herself pinned to the ground by a large NightWing with eyes glittering with malice. "This ends now, puny dragonet," he snarled. "IceWings shall never rule over us NightWings!" He prepared to slice her throat.

Suddenly, the NightWing shuddered and fell dead on the ground. Surprised, Gingko flapped up in the air, only to see a large puncture mark on the NightWing's side. Twisting around, she spotted blood on her barbed tail. She had killed the NightWing with just a slight touch.

Finally realizing her own power, she soared back into the sky for the third time and this time, charged toward a young NightWing soldier, barely older than her, and by the looks of it, quite inexperienced. Gingko tried to silently creep up on him, but instead, some other stupid NightWing yelled: "Hunterfang! Behind you!"

Hunterfang whirled around, spotting Gingko. Letting out a hiss of annoyance, she opened her mouth and shot a stream of venom at him. Eyes bulging, he fell down. There was no way he could have survived. 

Gingko felt a pang in her stomach as she watched Hunterfang fall. He didn't have to die. He was young...just like her. She turned her head to watch the NightWings. Then the IceWings. Both tribes slaughtering each other. Did it have to be like this?

She glanced at her claws. She could change this, she was certain of it. She could stop this war, stop the bloodshed. And she knew how. With one last desperate glance at the raging battle, she flew away, back home.