4

Lily pulled out a small knife from her pocket, and the man's eyes widened in surprise. Mia felt a jolt of fear run through her as she watched the standoff between the two of them.

"I said, leave her alone," Lily said again, her voice shaking slightly.

The man chuckled, taking a step forward. "You think that little knife is going to stop us? You're no match for us."

Mia felt her heart pounding in her chest as she watched the man raise his hand. She didn't know what he was planning, but she knew it wasn't good.

Suddenly, there was a loud banging noise, and the man staggered back, clutching his head in pain. Mia looked around, trying to figure out where the noise had come from.

It was then that she saw him. A man dressed in a long coat and hat, standing at the end of the alleyway, his hand raised above his head. Mia couldn't see his face, but something about him seemed familiar.

The other men were taken aback, and for a moment, Mia thought they were going to attack him. But then the man spoke, his voice low and authoritative.

"I suggest you leave before things get ugly," he said, his words dripping with menace.

The men shared a look, before turning on their heels and running off in the opposite direction. Mia let out a breath she didn't realize she had been holding, the tension slowly leaving her body.

The man in the hat turned to them, and Mia saw that his face was obscured by a mask. She felt a sense of unease wash over her, but she couldn't put her finger on why.

"Are you two okay?" he asked, his voice muffled by the mask.

Mia nodded, still in shock. "Thank you. I don't know how you did that, but thank you."