☽ 12 ☾

"Okay, the pastry display is fully restocked for the afternoon, so are you good if I leave?"

"Yeah, go," Kiki says while measuring out coffee beans. "Beck will be here soon, anyway."

"Alright," I sigh and head to the break room, taking off my apron. With plans to see Abby in just a few minutes, I gather my things and go through the back door to my car. I take out my claw clip and let my hair fall over my shoulders, and I tweak it in the visor mirror before starting my car and turning out of the café lot. I go right instead of left because Abby's house is the opposite way to mine, and she told me to meet her there after work. She didn't say I would be going on another wild ride through the mountains, so I assume we'll just hang out there, and I can ask her more questions about werewolves.

When I get to her house, I notice her mom's car isn't there. I park along the street and walk up the driveway, quickly sniffing my shirt to make sure I don't smell too much like expresso and pumpkin flavoring. I don't think I do, but then again, my senses may have become immune to all Blue Moon Café smells.

I knock on the door and step back with my hands holding one another against my front. I consider telling Abby about my kiss with Harvey last night, but Abby's boyfriend answers the door — who I've only met once — so I smile a bit awkwardly and say, "Oh, hi, is Abby here?"

"She's upstairs." He opens the door wider. "But she's—"

"I'm right here!" I hear her call, and suddenly she's wedging herself beside him. "I was making us coffee and accidentally splashed my shirt. Come in — it's cold."

Abby nearly walks me through the door.

"I just realized I didn't tell you Liam was going to be here," she says sheepishly. "But, you know, since you always have questions about us and the pack and shifting, we could tell you about mates."

"Mates?" I question, stepping out of my shoes.

Liam says, "I'll grab the coffee."

He disappears into the kitchen as Abby takes me to the living room. There's a pleasant, woodsy smell, and I notice a candle burning on the side table beside the couch. I sit next to it, and Abby places herself on the adjacent loveseat.

I take off my jacket and place it next to me. "So, what are mates?"

"You're gonna love this," she predicts and places a pillow on her lap.

Liam comes in with three coffee mugs gathered in his two hands, and Abby reaches to help him. She takes two and gives one to me. "You like almond milk, right? That's all I put in."

"Yeah, that's what I usually drink," I say and have a sip. "It's good."

"Good." She cups her mug in her lap and takes a breath. "So. Mates. Soulmates."

"Soulmates?" I question.

"That's what they are — soulmates — but we just say mates." She glances at Liam. "It's a special bond between two werewolves that we traditionally believe is bestowed by the Moon Goddess."

"Oh, wow. So you guys are..."

"We are," Liam confirms.

I ask, "Since when? Since always?"

"No. You can only find your mate once you turn eighteen, so — because Liam is older than me — when I turned eighteen, we found out we're mates."

"How did you know?"

"It's a physical feeling. We both feel our mate bond."

"Do you decide who your mate is?"

Liam smiles. "No. We have no influence over it, which is why our ancestors believed the Moon Goddess chooses who is mated with whom. We believe it's like fate."