☽ 23 ☾

Blue Moon doesn't look too busy as I park on the street and walk inside — a short detour on my way to the lab. Brooks is behind the counter alone. When he sees me, I ask, "Isn't Kiki working today?"

"Uh, yeah. She hasn't shown up to her last two shifts. Taryn's been trying to get a hold of her," he says while manning the espresso machine.

"Well, my sister Harper is really good friends with her sister," I say as I grab my scarf from the back room; I forgot it after my shift last night. I resurface and lean against the doorframe. "I'll ask Harper to ask her sister what's up."

"If you find out, tell her to call Taryn before she loses her job."

"Sure thing." I hold up my scarf. "I just came for this, but we're both on the schedule for tomorrow, so I'll see you then."

"Sounds good. See you later."

I leave the cafe hoping everything is alright with Kiki. The last few times we've worked together, she kept ranting about her ex-boyfriend, seeming unsure of what to do next with her life. I think she was really betting on moving out of Black Lake with him.

I toss my scarf onto my passenger seat, and then I buckle up to drive a couple of blocks over. Between Halloween and Christmas, the Historical Society doesn't have many events going on besides the Thanksgiving Food Drive, but my mom asked me this morning to stop by today because she needs help moving the old board table out of the society room; they've ordered a new one.

I park in the laboratory lot and climb up the front steps to the museum. Marianne doesn't seem to be here today — her purse and coffee cup aren't on the front desk — so I walk right through to the back.

"Mia? That you?" Mom calls.

"Yeah."

When I enter the society room, I find my mother standing with someone else — a girl maybe a couple of years older than me, and she wears a professional smile.

The board table is gone.

"This is my daughter Emilia, she's a sophomore in college," my mom introduces me. "Mia, this is Jane. She's a historian, isn't that cool?"

Jane laughs a little. "I came looking for the museum curator to ask about any part-time positions."

"Of course, Marianne isn't here today, but Jane was nice enough to help me with the table, so I don't need you after all."

"It wasn't a problem," Jane insists.

"You know, Mia is changing her major from education to history."

"Oh?" Jane asks me, "Is there a certain era you're interested in studying?"

Slightly overwhelmed, I say, "Um, the Victorian era."

"Really? I specialize in the Georgian and Victorian eras myself. I think it's very enjoyable to learn about and that you'll have a lot of fun with it — I did, but I graduated a few years ago already."

My mom's eyes light up. "Jane, I know you're interested in the museum, but you should consider joining the Society. We put on plenty of historical-themed events. At the moment, Marianne is our only reference, but she has way too much on her plate."

"The Society would have me? It sounds a bit exclusive."

My mom waves her hand. "Not at all. Our November dinner is tonight, all the members will be there, and I'm hosting it myself. You should come and meet everyone — see what we're about."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. Let me give you my phone number and my address. They're all coming over around six thirty."