☽ 16 ☾

"Do you think you and Harvey will get married? For us, the mate bond is enough on its own, but I know humans get married to make things super official — legal and all. I'm sure Harvey would if it's what you wanted."

"Oh?" I glance at Liberty as we follow the others to the kitchen. "I can't say I've—"

"Stop trying to freak her out." Abby steps in.

"She's mated to an Alpha. If I was in her situation, I would want to be legally bound."

We pass the dining room, and I nearly pull a muscle twisting my head to get a better look. There's no furniture, only stacks of hardwood flooring, grey patches covering the walls, and an entire section of the floor missing, revealing the basement; only once I double-take do I realize one wall is gutted entirely.

The hall opens up into the kitchen, and Abby takes me the opposite way of Liberty, instead towards Jalen and Luke. We lean against the counter and watch Jalen make himself a drink while Luke b-lines for the fridge. The sounds of more beer cans opening sprinkle around the room.

"I saw the dining room," I say. "Must have been some fight."

"It was Luke and Alo," Jalen says and then peers at his mate. "Luke's offered to help with the repairs, but Harvey likes to work alone. It's like his therapy."

Abby grabs an open bag of chips. "We break things — Harvey fixes them. It helps the guilt when you tell yourself the work is good for him."

"I'm sure."

I spot Alo and Liam now in the kitchen with us. Abby calls for her mate, and he makes his way over. When he gets to her side, she asks, "What did Alo want?"

"He wants to switch the timetable around, but he's tired of waiting for Harvey to return. I let him have my slots."

"What? You have the best schedule, Liam. You can't just give it to him."

"It's only until Harvey gets back and changes the table."

Abby turns from him and mutters, "Okay, fine."

"I'll still be free for nights."

She suddenly spins back. "You'll be waking up at the crack of dawn."

Jalen loops his arm with mine and together we withdraw. "It's for the best," he says, padding my arm.

"Hey!" A guy's voice shouts from the end of the hall. His footsteps near. "Harvey's here!"

My heart slams into my ribs. I look at Jalen, and he turns back to Luke. The guy shows up in the archway, holding both posts, but his nerve-wracking stare cracks and he chuckles. "I got you again, didn't I? You all looked scared."

"Stop doing that!" Sam yells.

Jalen tells me, "That's Kieran, Harvey's Beta."

"Right," I murmur. Abby mentioned his name during the car ride. "He got me."

"Me too. Every time. He knows it only works because once  he was telling the truth and none of us believed him."

"So Harvey doesn't like it when you guys drink here?"

"Not when he's away." He explains, "The fight that ruined the dining room happened the last time Harvey was gone. Sometimes he's the only one that can break them up."

I ask, "Why is everyone fighting?"

"Not everyone. Some of us just get a little too in touch with our wolf side when we drink. Emotions run high."

"Got it."

"Mia. Here."

I swivel right and find Liberty holding out a beer. Wishing Kieran was telling the truth about Harvey being home, I take it and hope it cures my disappointment.