☽ 31 ☾

I let myself in the house with Harvey's goodbye kiss lingering on my lips. Before I shut the front door, I wave to him as he waits in his truck against the curb. He lifts a hand, and I hear him drive off once the door shuts.

We just spent more time together than we ever have in one sitting, yet I still can't wait to see him later tonight when he climbs through my window as he promised he would. And although we can't be as intimate as we could be at Norwood House, I am perfectly fulfilled lying in his arms and having a quiet conversation in my bed, at least, that's enough for now. I can imagine what might happen the next time I spend the night at Harvey's — the mere idea of it makes me feel like a giddy thirteen-year-old.

"Mia, is that you?" My mom's voice calls from the kitchen.

I secure my overnight bag on my shoulder and walk towards her. "Yeah."

I enter the main room and find her and Harper at the kitchen counter. Mom stands against the side of the counter island while Harper sits on one of the counter stools. I round the counter to join them, setting my bag on an empty stool and seeing a paper in front of Harper. I lean over her shoulder and see she's written down things she wants for her birthday slumber party.

"We've started planning," Mom says, grasping a steaming cup of coffee and still wearing her pajamas. "Harper had me up early."

"Well, yeah. I'm excited," Harper says and starts doodling ink swirls on the corner of her list.

"Does that say seltzers?" I point to the list. "You're turning seventeen, not twenty-one."

Harper obscures that list from my sight. "Mom and I already discussed that one."

I look at Mom and she assures me, "There will be no alcohol, though it was a nice try." She grabs Harper's shoulder. "We settled on sparkling cider."

"In champagne glasses with strawberry garnishes and popping candy rims; for the aesthetic," Harper explains. "I want to take a group picture with everyone in their pajamas holding a glass."

"That sounds very cute," I say and steal another glance at the list through her splayed fingers. "What about food? Are we ordering pizzas or something?"

"Chinese food. I want those cute white boxes it comes in."

"For the pictures?" I guess and Harper narrows her eyes.

"Not everything is for pictures," she insists. "We'll be watching movies, doing face masks, playing Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board — actually I was gonna ask if you or Abby still had that Ouija board."

"Oh, uh, Abby might. I'll ask her."

"You know, I don't think that sort of stuff is necessary," Mom interjects. "I don't need any of the girls getting scared or upset. Not all of them are like you, honey," she strokes Harper's hair, "that sort of thing scares people."

Harper scribbles 'Ouijia Board' next to her bullet point for 'Creepy Games.' Abby and I did use her Ouija Board one time years ago, but I always thought she moved the planchette to freak me out. Now knowing what I know about the supernatural, I can only discern a spirit was really communicating with us. Though, I'm surprised Abby wanted to play at all since she often warned against similarly dark things.

Harper slides off her stool. "Can we go to the party store now?"

Mom looks at the clock on the microwave. "You want to go now?"

"And I want to get Delsin's gift while we're out too."

"Delsin's gift?" I question. "Shouldn't he be getting you a gift?"