☽ 21 ☾

Harvey's visited me before bed three nights this week, and I can feel myself growing more comfortable around him. It helps that he's patient — he never asks me for more than I give him and always makes me feel safe, beautiful, and cared for. He's easy to want and yearn for when he isn't here, and when he is, I don't want him to ever leave.

Becoming so attached to someone so quickly would typically turn me away, but I know we're soulmates. Every man is his family leading back to Dr. Norwood and his wife has stayed with their human mate, lived in Norwood House, and had at least one child together. Harvey is only becoming more perfect the more I see and talk to him, so if anything were to drive us apart suddenly, it would have to be because of him — if he were to change his mind about me.

Yet everything he tells me sounds like a promise that he won't.

As I lean against the counter in the kitchen drinking tea, I watch the trees move in the wind, growing more naked by the day. It's Saturday — Halloween — and Mom is out with Perry at the store picking up a last-minute addition to his Michael Myers costume. He was going to be Iron Man until he, Harper, and I watched the Halloween movies the other night to scare him.

Of course, he ended up loving it.

Harper enters the main room with a hoodie and sweatpants on. A large canvas bag hangs from her shoulder, stuffed full. She spots me and comes to the counter island.

"Kimmy is picking me up, and we're getting ready at her house for this party thing," she explains and takes her phone out of her hoodie pocket. "She's on her way."

"What are you dressing as?"

"I thought a which like from The Craft movie, but Kimmy has fake blood, so maybe a vampire, but I'm not sure so I'm bringing clothes for both."

"Is Delsin going?"

She nods. "I'm meeting him there. He's dressing up and everything — he's such a good sport."

"What's he gonna be?" I question then sip my tea.

"I think he said a werewolf."

I immediately choke and grab a napkin to wipe my mouth. "What?"

"What do you mean? A werewolf, Mia. Like his clothes will be ripped up, he'll have fake teeth, maybe he'll glue fur to himself — I dunno." Her phone buzzes. "She's here. I gotta go. I'll be back later."

I watch Harper rush through the house to the foyer. The front door closes just as quickly as it opens, and once I'm alone, I mutter, "Is he serious?"

I'm sure he thinks it's just hilarious.

I throw the crumpled napkin away and glance out the window again, but my eyes snag on the back gate; it's open to the forest. I could have sworn a minute ago it was closed.

My lips turn upwards. Is Harvey still checking on me?

I leave my tea in the kitchen and go to the back door. Mom's outside clogs are on the doormat, so I put them on and step outside. The air is crisp and fresh, smelling like the fallen leaves all around. I cross my arms to try and maintain my warmth as I wander to the back gate.

"Harvey?" I call as I peek through it.

The forest beyond the house is slightly shadowed by the canopy. Deciduous and evergreen shrubs obscure the forest floor, but a nearby hobble bush still has bunches of small red berries. I tried them as a kid — Mom said they tasted like dates — but I found them spicy.

I drift to the bush and pick off one of the berries, calling, "Harvey?" and then popping it in my mouth. The taste isn't so much spicy as it is warm and fragrant.