☽ 17 ☾

"Harvey! You know Mia is here, right? She's so sweet...and funny. Oh, here she is. Mia, look, he's home."

Abby latches onto Liberty who's clearly had too many drinks and coaxes her away. Harvey can't make it past the foyer without being surrounded by his pack, but he sees me past them, and those in the way step to the side. My face burns; I didn't plan on talking to him with an audience.

At first, Harvey looks at me like I'm not really here, but he quickly realizes what's going on — everyone has gathered in his absence, and I've been invited. He breathes out and eyes Abby.

"Surprise," she says. "Mia's met everyone."

"And we love her," Liberty tacks on.

"All of you go home, and if you're supposed to be on duty, shift and get to it." Harvey turns to me, and my body goes stiff. "Mia, come on."

Harvey nears me and places his hand on my back, guiding me the way Abby and I came. I peer back at her, and she mouths, "I'll wait for you."

When we turn the corner, I say, "I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to be here."

"You're welcome here. I just didn't expect to come home to all this."

"I know you didn't. No one thought you would be home tonight — that's why they're hanging out here and drinking — so Abby invited me because she knows I've...been waiting...for you." My chest tightens. "I think she wanted to cheer me up and make me feel like I'm a part of things."

"That's okay."

"Liam said you wouldn't mind; I wouldn't have come if he said otherwise."

Harvey steps away from me as he opens the study doors Abby and I briskly closed so he wouldn't know we were in there. My stare widens as he goes inside, and he promptly turns to me with a curious look. Abby said he can smell me — that my scent lingers.

My cheeks redden more. "Abby showed me around downstairs."

"Oh? That explains it."

"You aren't mad, are you?"

He sighs, his expression soft. "I'm not. I was gone longer than expected, and I'm glad Abby filled you in, but I didn't think telling you where I am meant bringing you to meet the pack while I'm away."

"She's just excited," I say then press my lips together.

"They all seem to be."

I shake my head. "Not all of them."

His brow furrows. "No?"

"Alo doesn't seem to like me, and Delsin is dating my sister, so I'm not sure how he feels about me being around."

"Delsin is dating your sister?"

"He told me earlier that she's his girlfriend. He didn't want the others to know, and I may have gotten a little heated. But I met Kieran, too, and he was nice. He made this joke where he shouts—"

"That I'm home when I'm not?"

"Yeah. It wasn't very funny in the moment, but thinking back on it... It's kind of funny."

"You really met everyone, didn't you?"

I nod. "And they were really nice."

Harvey sits on the very edge of the desk and crosses his arms. "So, did you think things over while I was gone?"

"I didn't go how I thought it would, but I think I've come to some conclusions."

"And what conclusions are those?"