☽ 30 ☾

I wake up gradually to the movement of the duvet and the sound of footsteps, not yet disposed to opening my eyes. I pull the blanket higher, further pressing my face into my pillow. The room is wonderfully dark, and the bed is warm but not too hot; I could easily slip back into sleep. However, the realization that I'm still at Norwood House in Harvey's bed stops me from indulging. I start listening to the sink running in the bathroom instead.

Harvey's footsteps eventually carry into the bedroom, and the bed moves again as he gets back under the covers. I keep my eyes closed and my body still even though I swear I can feel him looking at me.

A deep breath floods my lungs, so I stretch a little and advantageously turn away from Harvey. This is the first time we're waking up together — usually he leaves after I fall asleep — and I'm sure I look how I do every morning with messy hair and a puffy face. It takes me at least an hour to feel normal again.

"Good morning," Harvey says, his voice roughened.

My eyes open, and I tug the covers under my chin. "What time is it?" I ask. Graciously, I don't sound like a croaking toad.

"Almost nine."

I blink a few times before pushing upright. "You can't even tell in here."

"It's the curtains," he says. "They're nice when I'm up all night shifted and have to sleep during the day."

I nearly turn to face him. "Is that often?"

"Not recently, but with this vampire issue, I have a feeling that's going to change."

Coming to accept that he's going to see me in all my morning glory eventually, I twist around so I'm lying on my other side. Harvey is sitting reclined against the pillows and thick wood headboard. Of course, he looks perfect, even with bedridden hair. His lips curve into a charming smile, and if the view wasn't so pleasant, I'd probably turn back around to hide my grubbiness.

"Sorry I had you up so late," he says and tucks my hair behind my ear, smoothing it in the process.

I automatically lift to finger-comb the rest of it, feeling loose knots and voluminous bumps. "It's fine. I don't work today, so maybe I'll take a nap or something."

Remembering I left my phone in my bag in the bathroom, I promptly slide out of bed and pad over there, drawing open the nearest curtains on my way. The whole room brightens instantly.

"It's Harper's birthday tomorrow," I say as I enter the bathroom, knowing Harvey can hear me. "I'm supposed to help her and my mom plan her party — she wants a slumber party with all her friends."

"She's turning seventeen, isn't she?" He asks.

"Yeah." I bend over and fish my phone from my bag near the clawfoot tub. There's already a text from my mom asking when I'll be home to contribute. "I'm sure they'll just watch some girly movies, gossip about who-knows-what, and sneak a bottle of someone's parents' alcohol — you know, the usual."

"Sounds like every birthday party I went to as a teenage girl, sure. Is that how your parties were?"

I fight my smile as I text my mom back. "Sort of, minus the alcohol. But I preferred my childhood birthdays instead when Abby was mostly around, back when they had cute themes and activities. Do you guys celebrate birthdays? Abby never had a full-blown party with a bunch of kids," I ask as I go to the archway between the bedroom and bathroom and loiter there.

"Children do things with their families to celebrate, but as you get older... Well, we pretty much just got into trouble," he says from the bed.

"Who? You and the boys?"