kind of cruel.

"sunny?"

"yeah dad?" i hollered back.

"can you come talk to me in my office?" my dad said.

"yeah."

i got off the couch and walked over to his office at the house.

its filled with pictures of hockey games and old sweaters.

"whats up?"

"close the door and take a seat please."

i did as i was told, looking at him, sitting with his elbows resting on the desk.

"so i found something out today."

i raised my eyebrows.

"yeah?"

"the other night when you came home after curfew, i had a player who also came home after curfew."

"what does this have to do with me?" i lied.

"well, you & the players are the same age now and i worry about you not following up on the agreement that you will not date one of my players." he sighed.

"i showed you the pictures i took, im painting one right now, its in my room." i said.

"i know but i just find it odd that hayes left his billet around the same time you did, plus he arrived back at his billet at the same time you came home."

i groaned, "it's literally just a coincidence."

"be honest with me sunny, are you & hayes talking? i have no problem having your mom go through your phone."

i rolled my eyes and set back in my chair.

the door creaked open and then shut behind me.

"hey." my mom said, sitting in the chair next to me.

"i have hayes' number." i mumbled.

"okay." my dad said.

"please dont send him away, please dad. if he gets traded ill never forgive you!" i said, turning the water works on.

this works everytime.

"its too early for trades and he's my star player, im not letting him leave, but that means that you'll have to step back and not be at the rink so much."

"oh the rink!" i jokingly gasped.

"sunny this is a big deal. you need to stay focused on your goals and hayes is here to play hockey to go to college, thats his goal." my mom said.

"you guys are acting like i went out and did drugs with him, we literally sat in the car and talked about life. we just wanted to get to know eachother." i ranted.

"sunny, thats still against the rules we set in place."

i groaned, "you guys never want me to be happy. kind of cruel of you guys as my parents!"

"sunny, we never said that." my mom said, "we just dont want you making a mistake, like we did."

"oh so now im a mistake?" i asked, standing up with my arms over my chest.

"sunny, i didn't mean it like that."

"no, now im mad and upset." i said.

"sunny, please sit down."

i looked at my dad, "i turn 18 in 7 months and then ill be off to college.. in michigan. what will you do then?"

"sunny, lets not get ahead of ourselves. lets just talk about boundaries for right now."

"i wont go to the rink. i wont be here whenever the teams here. i wont ever be happy again. go ahead and scribble that on your note pad and ill even autograph it for you!" i said.

"sunny, listen, im trying to compromise with you. lets talk and work this out."

i sat back down and rolled my eyes.

"adeline!" my mom warned.

"yes?"

moms mad.

she said my legal name.

"boundaries are perfectly normal for a relationship at your age. for your fathers job, it may look bad to outsiders that the head coaches daughter is dating one of the players." she said.

"you do know that he came to me first, right? so maybe you should talk to your players." i said.

"i will be talking to him." my dad said. "but youre our daughter so we talked to you first, understand?"

"yes sir." i sighed.

"there will be no dating as of right now."

"yes."

"obviously if things change we will readdress, but for now no dating my players. as for the rink & hanging out with hayes, you'll still have a curfew, you'll still have to share your location. at the rink you will not distract him. if at any point we feel like youve broken our rules, their will be consequences."

"yes sir, i understand."

"okay. now you got this in the mail." he said, handing me an envelope.

i took it from him and look at the address.

"nhl headquarters in toronto?" i asked but i knew once i saw it what the letter is about.

i opened the letter, seeing the hand written letter.

"dear adeline, we were truly blown away when we look at your art work & achievements! we cant wait to see nhl artists on your achievements list soon! more information will be provided in an email but for now pack your bags and get ready to come to canada to start this journey with us! from garry bettman." i read.

"oh my god." i cried.

my mom hugged me and kissed my head and then my dad, "were so proud of you sis!"

"what about school?" i asked.

"we have a scheduled appointment tomorrow to go talk to your school and figure out learning on the road." my mom said.

"am i going to canada by myself? i dont-oh my god i didn't think about this-"

"calm down." my dad chuckled. "ive been talking to the people who will be incharge of you, were going to canada in 2 days, you'll meet them there. get tons of information, they'll answer all your questions."

i nodded.

"thank you guys!" i said, hugging them again.