Back Tracking

It was a few days later and I was in the meal room when president coin walked up to me. It may have been because I was standing on top of a table monitoring everyone but that was the easiest way to do my job.

"Y/n I need you in my office." She said beneath me.

I jumped down to her level and stared for a moment before speaking, "why?" I asked.

"I can't say it in the open." She said.

"Odd." I quipped as I began walking out not waiting for coin. She liked to take the longer walk of life but I grasped on to life like a helpless child and ran through time never knowing when I could lose it.

I arrived in Coin's office almost an entire minute before she did so I sat down and looked at a few papers she had laid out across her table.

One had a list of people that were MIA. At the top were Peeta, Johanna, and Annie. That was one of the only rescue missions I was aware of but they refused to let me go on it in fear that I might go try and kill president snow instead. I don't blame them because they gave me the idea but now I had no chance of even being able to try. They would never send me on a mission in the capitol. Why would coin want snow alive right now. What was she waiting for.

"Your daydreaming again." Coin said as she closed the door behind her and took a seat.

"Is it even day? How are we supposed to know what time it is. Your depriving people of sunshine and happiness." I spoke in a monotone voice.

"I need you to go back." She said and I sat up in my seat.

"Back where?" I ask.

"I need you to go tracking again. Back tracking if you will. I need you to run through the sewers again. You're the only able body adept at running for hours at a time in cold damp temperatures since you're the only one who still trains in simulations. You're the only one who can fight their PTSD alone." She said raising her voice as the words grew more intense.

"What if I'm attacked?" I ask.

"We have weapons for you. We will show you soon." She answered.

"What about the others. You would send them with me if they weren't already doing something. What are they doing?" I was raising my voice now too.

"They are staying here to help me with something. We're sending you back to the sewers to scope out a path and map it so they can make it through in the easiest way possible." She said.

"You've been planning the infiltration of the capitol but you would never do that through the tunnels. Why would you need to send your best men through the tunnels to complete an unrelated objective if you only have one unconnected one. Did you already get them out and not tell me?" I was furious now because I knew it was true.

"I won't deny that we have hid it from you." She said calmly.

"So you thought planting those papers in your desk would hide it better?! You can't hide that from me! You can't just not tell me when you sent people to save my loved ones!" I shouted. I didn't leave the room though; i was waiting for her to say something.

"You can't see them till after both missions are completed. You need to get ready now time is limited." She said calmly.

There was no use fighting. I stood up and walked out of the room slamming the door and marching down to the armory with loud echoing steps of anger. I didn't run into anyone but I'm sure people could hear me and we're staying out of my way.

I put on a reflective armored suit and geared up with my trident, spears and knives. Once I tied the last lace on my shoes I walked out to the carrier jets and boarded my jet that would take me to the sewers.

When I arrived they dropped me over the entrance via rope and dropped a tracker and monitor after that. My suit came with infrared goggles and I put them on then attached the track monitor to my belt.

I had three hours to clear the tunnels then get out before the rest of the group went in to get to the capitol.

I opened the vent to the sewer and jumped in closing the vent above me as I went down. The sewer went dark so I clicked on my suit and the wires in my suit ignited the flashlights in my palms and in the belt of my suit. I had no idea how this technology came to be but when I took my glasses off it was pitch black but when I turned them back on I could see each turn in the large tunnels and the heat register. my shoes were made of soundless material so I was able to move soundlessly as I scoped the place out.

As I was walking I heard a sloshing noise and turned just in time to see a faceless slimy cold creature pounce on me trying to rip my face off and eat me.

I pulled out a knife and stabbed it in the face but my glasses showed me hundreds of mutts behind him. My best bet was to fight them off until I could reach one of my bombs. They took a little coding to set off but they would do the trick if I could get it to work.

I took out the bomb and began inserting the passcode with one hand while I fought the mutts off with my trident. It was a one handed battle against hundreds of creatures but I was constantly running back to give myself time to insert the code. Once the timer was set I launched it into the  mutts and shouted the reactor words.

"Nightlock! Nightlock! Nightlock!"

The sewer erupted and I was caught in the bursting flames. I did my best to run around a corner but I had to cover my face and hands to protect them from the explosion.

The next thing I felt was a wet slimy feeling on my face and hands.

"What's happening?" I asked as I opened my eyes.

"We got you out safely." Katniss said as she continued rubbing something on my skin.

I was back in 13 in the healing unit. There was a second bed with curtains drawn beside it which probably meant there was someone behind them.

"What happened?" I asked again.

"The fumes made you pass out and we found you before more mutts got to you. Finnick carried you but he had to fight mutts on our way out. He got a bit chewed up on the way out. We found some toxic gas bombs on your belt and used that instead of the real one so Finnick could make it out but he's over there being healed." She said.

"So what happened to my skin?" I asked because it didn't look bad at all.

"The mucus from the mutts dried out your skin and we're still trying to rehydrate it. You managed to stay out of the bomb range so that was good." She answered.

"How long have I been out?" I ask.

"Just a few weeks. Once Finnick receives capitol remedies we will have your wedding. After that the revolution resumes."

"And when will that be?" I ask.

"Tonight. It will take a few days to heal but these are the same remedies they give the victors after the hunger games so he will look good as new. Before you ask we were able to get equipment from the capitol to do this. We stole it because we knew we would need it." She finished what she had to say and finished rubbing the ointment on my skin then walked out.

"Y/n? Are you awake?" A pained cracking voice spoke through what sounded like tears.

"Finnick!" I tried to shout but it came out in a cracked tear filled cry as I burst into tears. I couldn't imagine how he looked after the mutts got to him.

When I touched my face to wipe the tears off and my breath hitched. There were four long slashes across my cheek.

Not even the best leave without a scar. That was the case for Finnick and I. We were scarred and I don't think either of us can ever do something like this ever again.