Chapter 8

Y/n's POV

Mirabel and Tio Agustin sat down across from us and I gulped. This would not be good. Abuela starts to talk to the Matriarch of the Guzman family.

"The Guzmans and the Madrigals together will be so good for the Encanto."

Mrs. Guzman nodded and cheerily said, "Yes, then let's hope tonight is not a horrible disaster." She starts to laugh and Abuela chuckles along with her.

Abuela Alma brings her drink up, "A toast to a perfect night. Salud!"

"Salud!" We all followed. Everyone starts to dig into the food. I gingerly took a sip of my water, avoiding Mirabel's stare. I kept my attention on Antonio, listening to him eagerly tell a story about his day. I took a glance at Luisa and had to do a double take, the poor woman was on the verge of tears.

"Avacado?" Mariano asks, blocking Mirabel's vision.

I felt Dolores shift her weight and looked towards her to see her leaning toward Camilo to whisper in his ear. He chokes on his food for a second. His eyes widen and his power bugs out. He switches to Mirabel, then Bruno, and then back to himself. His eyes are too far apart and his mouth opened in shock.

Feliz, seeing his son's situation, nudged him and said, "Camilo, fix your face." He quickly shakes his head, setting his face straight.

He glances at me before locking eyes with his primo, Mirabel. She resorts to staring at him now pleading with her eyes for him not to say a word. Camilo swallows warily.

"Water?" Isabella asks Mirabel.

A pitcher of water blocks her vision and he takes the opportunity to lean in to whisper to his father. Oh boy. I sigh and grab an arepa and start to eat it. I feel some energy return to me as I watch Felix do a spit-take. I gasp making Dolores look at me with a similar expression. Senora Guzman eyes Felix as she wipes her blouse off.

Alma chuckles nervously and fills her wine glass more to try and distract her. She looks down at Mirabel. I see both her and her Papi straighten up nervously. Tio Agustin and Mirabel share the same nervous smile.

"Mirabel, the cream, please."

She gulps and turns to her father. "Uh Pa, the cream." Agustin starts to tremble as he picks up the dish and Mirabel quickly takes it from him before he drops it. She passes it down and spots Felix whispering to Tia Pepa. Her face drops.

A cloud quickly forms, and thunder echoes in the room. Pepa panicking makes everyone else panic. Julietta puts a hand on her sister's shoulder, trying to calm her down.

Abuela Alma looks at her embarrased, "Pepa, the cloud."

I can see Pepa's breath pick up as she starts to do her little chant and ritual of petting her hair. "Clear skies, clear skiess." I felt my heart ache for Tia Pepa, she had far too much pressure on her to be happy all the time. She was barely allowed to feel her emotions.

Pepa begins to whisper in Julietta's ear as the wind picks up. Julietta looks at her daughter worriedly, who in turn avoids her gaze by looking down. Mirabel jolts in her seat and so I decided to take a glance under too. My eyes widen at the sight of cracks forming in the floor. Oh no.

"Mirabel?" Mariano spoke up.

She looks up and makes eye contact with me before jolting up and hitting her head on the table.

"Everything okay?" Mariano continues.

Mirbel seems to finally freeze up. Agustin chimes in for her, grabbing his youngest daughter's arm.