Chapter 9

Camilo's POV

Camilo looks out the door and turns with a cheeky grin. He morphs into Isabela's future fiance. "Isabela!! Your boyfriend's here!!" I flex my newly buff arms and look up to where Y/n is and wink at her. She rolls her beautiful eyes at me. I laugh with Mariano's deep baritone voice.

"Time for dinner!" Tia Julietta calls out. The girls all grab a plate and set them on the table. The boys grab the cups, I sidle up behind Y/n gently pressing her against the table. I put my hand on her shoulder as I lean down to set the cup down. I go to straighten up but pause when I see how close our faces are. I glance down at her soft lips and suddenly mine feel very dry. Her eyes dart down to my mouth when I wet them. She freezes up.

She looked stunning. I wanted to run my fingers through her hair and kiss her so hard she forgot everything except me. She looked up at me through her lashes and I got captured by them. They were gorgeous. Shit, this is too much right now. I cleared my throat as I felt my face heat up. I quickly backed up. I watched as she shyly looked down at the ground and I smiled softly.

I walked over to my Papi. He and Tia Julieta each had a dish in their hands. I grabbed the salad bowl and salad tongs. I stepped in time with Papi.

He cleared his throat and I looked over at him. "So, when you gonna make your move huh?"

I felt the blush from earlier come back and I stuttered. "Uh well, y'know, we uh are putting down the groundwork right now. Heh." I cleared my throat as he just looked at me with a raised eyebrow. He sighed as he set down the dish he was carrying and I put the salad next to it.

"Y/n is a very pretty girl, I imagine you've noticed the attention she gets in town. You don't have forever Camilo. If you don't make a move soon, someone else will sweep her heart away from you my son."

I swallowed the knot that formed in my throat. "I know Papi but I," I sighed, "I don't want to lose her as a friend if she doesn't return my feelings. I love her too much to lose her."

He put a hand on my shoulder. "I understand son. I felt the same way about Pepa. We were best friends and I was terrified of losing her but I confessed anyway. Because I didn't want to not have what could've been if I had never confessed. It was worth it. She was worth it."

I slowly nodded. "How will I know when the right time is?"

He stuck his finger in my chest, "You'll feel it here, in your heart. A moment when you can no longer hold back the love that flows for her. A moment when you fall in love again with her."

I nodded. "Time to eat!" Abuela Alma's voice rang out.

I took my seat and watched as Dolores and Y/n stopped in the doorway briefly. They whispered back and forth semi-panicked. Finally, Mi Vida sighed and walked in, she glanced at me, blushed, and didn't sit next to me. I frowned. Was earlier too much? Dolores sat next to me giving a look to Y/n. Dolores looked fidgety, she sat there wide-eyed with a tight grip on her glass. She locked eyes with Mirabel and didn't blink, they were locked in a staring contest.

Abuela starts to talk to the Matriarch of the Guzman family.

"The Guzmans and the Madrigals together will be so good for the Encanto."

Mrs. Guzman nodded and cheerily said, "Yes, then let's hope tonight is not a horrible disaster." She starts to laugh and Abuela chuckles along with her.

Abuela Alma brings her drink up, "A toast to a perfect night. Salud!"

"Salud!" We all followed. Everyone starts to dig into the food.