Chapter 10

Camilo's POV

I walk downstairs to the kitchen. I turn the stove on first to start heating up while I go and grab the kettle. Filling that up with water, casita's tiles start moving, bringing a teacup and tea platter over next to the stove. I smile in appreciation and put the kettle on the stove. Next, I grab a plate and fill that with some leftover arepas. Y/n needed rest but also food, she didn't eat much at dinner. None of us did. But I was more worried about her.

The kettle's high-pitched whistling brought me out of my reverie. I quickly took it off the stove, gently setting it on the tea platter, along with the plate of arepas. Picking up the platter, I walk out of the kitchen.

I nudged Y/N's door open quietly and looked in. She was on her right side and sleeping finally. Good. I walk in and set the plate of arepas on her nightstand. I lean down and kiss her forehead.

"Sleep well, Mi Amor."

And back out I walk. I head into my Mami's room. There I find both my mother and Y/N's, Tia Analia. Mami is sitting in her rocking chair trying to stay calm as Tia Analia crouches by her, softly holding her hand as she murmurs quietly to her. Where their hands touch, a soft green glow shines. Tia Analia using her gift, the gift to sense and manipulate emotions. Both my mother and Tia Analia were born in the same year, and of course, got their gifts at the same time. Seems the candle knew they'd be best friends and could help each other.

I walk over to the dresser, setting the tea platter down on it. I quickly pour some tea into a cup, adding one spoonful of sugar to it. I stir it before beginning to hand it to her with a smile.

"It's okay, Mami, deep breath in, deep breath out..." Something slams the wall next to us, causing all three of us to jump. Mami panicked and a quick jolt of lightning hit my back and I gasped as I straightened up, trying not to spill the tea as I took a deep breath in myself. No time to think on what that was, Mami came first. Now, with no interruptions, I hand the tea to her, chamomile, her favorite.

"There you go, drink that Mami, it'll help."

She takes it gratefully, blowing on it before taking a small sip. Now Tia Analia's hand rests on my mom's knee, soothingly rubbing it. She looks up at me and quietly asks. "How is she?" I know enough to know who she's talking about.

"She's okay, exhausted but she's sleeping peacefully now. She woke up and we talked a little bit before she fell back asleep. I left her some arepas for when she woke up again." Analia smiled with a relieved sigh.

"Good, I was worried, she hasn't reacted like that to her gift since she first got it." I nodded solemnly. When Y/N first got her gift she was constantly passing out after using it, for little me it was terrifying. Even now it terrifies me to see her like that. It's quiet for a few minutes as Mami drinks her tea.

"You should go help find your cousin." She speaks softly and takes another sip of her tea before continuing. "The rest of the families out looking for her already, and we're all worried. I nod before leaning down to kiss her forehead softly.

"Alright, I will. You just relax some more mami." I leave the room, closing the door gently. Through the door, I hear the two women start conversing in hushed tones. Even I know this isn't good. Who knows where Mirabel is, what if she's in danger? I doubt she's the one who breaks the magic, she would never.

Before going to search he looks in on Y/N real quickly again. She's still sleeping. He closes her door almost silently. His mother's door opens, and out come his mom and Tia Analia. They go downstairs together. The air starts to turn cold. That's not a good sign. I go to the top of the stairs, straining to hear. I hear Abuela's voice rising.

"You should have told me the second you saw the vision! Think of the family." Tio Agustin answers her.

"I was thinking of my daughter!" I don't dare peek around the corner. The air grows colder still as a gust of wind blows up the stairs, coming from the foyer where they all stand.

Abuela speaks again, this time to my mami. "Pepa, calm down!"

She snaps back at her, "I'm doing my best!" My father softly agrees with her. "You're lucky it's not a hurricane!"

Tia Julieta speaks next. To be honest, this probably isn't a conversation I should listening to. "Mamá, you've always been too hard on Mirabel." I hear the sounds of the walls cracking, one even spread up here.

"Look around. We must protect our family, our Encanto. We cannot lose our home!" Abuela doesn't deny Tia's words. The sound of the door opening echoes.

"Señora, perdón, people in town are becoming anxious about the magic. They want to see you."

Before Abuela speaks to him, she finishes the conversation with her children and son-in-laws. "Mirabel was in that vision for a reason. Find her." Her word is law. As Abuela leaves, the house shakes again. I take a shuddery deep breath. Is our house gonna fall? For real? The thought is terrifying and I quickly go back to Y/N's room.

I don't want to wake her up from the sleep she so desperately needs. But if the house does collapse, she'd be safer with me, not stuck in her room. 

A/N

Sorry for such a long wait time for another chapter. Ya'll I genuinely am so sorry for going this long without updating. Senior year is, a lot, to say the least. The second quarter is just halfway over and I still have a second semester to go. But! I have straight A's which is my goal for this year haha. And a little update on my life. I got accepted into art school! I don't see myself attending yet though because it's very very expensive. And I'm still working on writing my book, which I still have a publisher interested in thank god.

My goal for this story, and my Bunnyund one is to have it finished next year, 2024. I don't see myself finishing them before New Year's. But they will be done. I refuse to be an author with unfinished fics. You readers deserve better. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! We are truly almost at the end for this one, I surmise at most, there are 3-4 chapters left. 

~ Rowan