Chapter 32: Welcome home 🔞

■ ■ ■ ■

His intention was clear despite the haziness of his mind, the aftermath of his sudden anxiety that silently creeped behind him.

Earlier that night he was overwhelmed with everything— surprisingly not just work, but images of Sakura in his head with Sasori. The fact that they probably went out together late in the evening, or the fact that they were simply just close enough to be together.

He hated every assumption of them creeping up his mind like an intrusive thought he couldn't seem to shake off and be free from.

He had told himself numerous times he was fine with it— but he was fucking reaching his limit.

His work was loaded enough as it is, but only a single thought of Sakura had completely tipped off the scale far too drastically to the point that his work, his known priority all these years, suddenly didn't matter to him.

When he finally gave in to his tormenting thoughts, he found himself craving for a puff yet again; but he had used the single cigarette he had kept that night when he saw her with him, and he was getting frantic without it as he gripped his empty pocket.

Suddenly it was getting hard to breathe, he thought as he unloosens his tie a bit.

He hated every second of it.

His thoughts were running wild with everything while his breathing continue to fail him.

Not long until she had arrived in front of him, soothing him and freeing him somehow of this helpless trance he seemed to have been trapped in.

His intention was clear.

He was fine to let her go, let her find her happiness with someone else and not drag him with it. He'll easily let go for both their sakes and his sanity.

He wasn't a possessive man.

He knew of that.

..but his words failed him.

"Sakura," he breathes.

All of a sudden he found himself staring at her glimmering eyes, tears in every corner of it, helplessly falling in her cheeks as she remained silent and confused as to why he had caught up with her abruptly.

With just one look, it daunted to him how much his words had hurt her, how he mistreated her even after what she had done. That moment he knew— he wants her to be free of this pain he inflicted on her.

His hands reach to her face, his thumbs wiping the tears falling at each corner of her eyes while her lips were slight apart, speechless at his sudden touch.

He wanted to say she was free to go if she wants to.

Yet here he was, suddenly gentle and soft with her, "Sorry" he huffs a whisper, his voice low but loud enough to reach her; he unconsciously closed their gap while he continued to wipe the tears still falling on her cheeks. "I'm sorry" he repeated, hating how he had pushed her away even though he despised the idea behind it.

Sakura slowly put her hands on the back of his, and even though she wanted to say no it's okay while she frees herself from his grip, she preferred to stifle her sobs instead, gave in to her silent desires and kept holding on to him— not wanting him to ever let go if that was even possible, while she kept her eyes on his eyes filled with regret. She wasn't this emotional before, she didn't even recall the last time she cried bad like this, but it gave her some sense of relief that he was here saying sorry.