Chapter 35: Sunsets

■ ■ ■ ■

Sakura had managed to escape his embrace early in the morning.

He was clearly and evidently tired from his work last night so her gentle and careful movements at the bed didn't make him stir even a bit. Finding him so cute, she kissed him on the cheek before leaving to go downstairs and get everything ready.

She was incredibly excited today.

After pondering enough, she decided to finally tell Sasuke about the trip on the weekend that Itachi and Izumi had gave her. She has to. Like Sasuke's guess, it was indeed time-limited, and it was scheduled next weekend until Tuesday. By that time, she'd be officially four weeks and a few days pregnant, if she recalls correctly. She was excited to tell him about the trip because she can finally tell him about her pregnancy and that they were having a baby.

Truth be told— she was still wrapping her head around the idea of her being pregnant, a little scared and overwhelmed about bringing it up because it'll feel even more real than this.

When Sakura asked Itachi last night on why the sudden gift— he explained that it was supposedly for him and Izumi but an important client had needed them on the said dates. Unfortunately he said, that it was no longer refundable and the dates on the flight and accommodation could no longer be changed. Itachi decided to give it to them, while also saying to consider it their late wedding gift to them.

Itachi really lied about it though, out of the pinkette's knowledge. It was really a gift to her as an apology for having a difficult husband while also giving them an opportunity to get along after he knew about the fight they had at the bar.

She prepared the last few dishes on the table and Sasuke comes down at the perfect timing, already neat in his suit. "Good morning" she greets enthusiastically while Sasuke went directly to her, kissing her head and mumbling "morning" before sitting down.

"Do you have plans next weekend?" Sakura casually asks in the middle of their hearty breakfast she prepared this morning as she grasped the printed itinerary hidden at her apron's pocket underneath the table, ready to pull it out.
"Let me check my schedule" he says, opening his calendar.

—and then it only just occurred to Sakura the major flaw of this plan.

She was too excited and too enthusiastic of this trip that she utterly forgot about Sasuke's strict and restrained schedule at work. She felt so dumb after just realizing it. Pregnancy brain, she blames. She probably wouldn't have thought about it if Sasuke didn't tell her that he'll need to check his schedule. Why didn't she at least check with Sai first?

"Yes," he announces after looking at his calendar, "I have a business meeting outside the city. Quite a long drive back and forth so I might stay the night over there before heading home." He said.
Sakura felt her heart sank at this. She removed her grip from the paper and returns to eat her meal again, a bit stunned.

"Why do you ask? Did you want us to do something that weekend?" He peeks at her curiously.
"No reason."

"I don't have to spend the night, I can head home right after." he adds, assessing her a little to see if that's what she would've wanted.
"No, it's okay. I might have plans that weekend too." She smiled.

"With Ino and Tenten?" Sasuke probes further.
"uhm— not sure... I mean they're not sure yet." she swallows.

She knows the complications of misunderstandings and miscommunication altogether.