- 1 -

546 words

As I got off the bus after the long ride from Zuzu City to Pelican Town, I immediately noticed the difference in the air. It smelled so clean and fresh- nothing like what I was used to in the city.

I grabbed my things and walked towards a woman with a green button up shirt and long ginger hair tied back in a ponytail. She couldn't be older than 45 and had a kind looking face. I figured she should know where the farm is.

"Excuse me, I'm just moving here and I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the old farm?" I asked.

"Oh of course! You must be Alana. Mayor Lewis told me you'd be moving in today and he asked me to meet you at the bus stop," she said with nothing but pure joy in her voice.

I guess this town doesn't get many new residents. I wondered how many people actually live here.

After the introduction was over we started walking down a beaten dirt path toward what appeared to be a forest.

I was wrong.

It's not a forest.

THIS WAS THE FARM?? I almost fell to my knees in horror when she confirmed my thoughts.

"Welcome to Starry Bay Farm! I know it doesn't look like much, but in a few seasons I'm sure you'll have it up and running just like your grandfather did," she said with a half-hearted smile.

"Oh, it's... lovely!" I said, trying to hide my overwhelming mix of shock and disappointment.

I guess I didn't think about how my grandpa wasn't exactly in great condition for the last few years of his life, and probably couldn't take very good care of the farm. I had my work cut out for me but I was determined to make this farming thing work.

"Hello!" I heard from the doorstep of an old cottage on the property.

When we walked over I saw an older man in beige pants and a green shirt with brown suspenders. I figured this must be Mayor Lewis from Grandpa's letter.

"I'm Lewis, the mayor of Pelican Town! I'm not sure if you remember me, but I was a good friend of your grandfathers," he said cheerily.

"I think he mentioned you in his letter, it's nice to meet you," I said while trying to keep my
spirits up realizing even the old cottage wasn't in good condition.

=====

"Well it was very nice meeting you Alana but we should leave and let you settle in to your new home," said Lewis.

"Yes and don't forget to stop by for any house upgrades you may want!" shouted the ginger woman who's name I learned was Robin as they walked down the dirt path out of the farm.

I sighed, deciding to deal with the mess of a farm tomorrow and went into the cottage to look around. There was a small bed in the corner along with a dining table, a budget tv, a dying house plant, and a tiny bathroom. Yeah, I think I might prioritize that house upgrade a little bit.

I flopped down on the bed and dozed off, taking in the new life I'd be living for who knows how long.