- 28 -

2255 words

I woke up to someone mumbling and slowly opened my eyes to realize I was somewhere unfamiliar.

"Yeah, okay I'll see you then, bye," I heard Sam's voice whisper.

I turned over to see him looking down at me softly, his arms wrapped around me tight. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," he said quietly before kissing my forehead.

I rubbed my eyes a little. "Who was on the phone?"

"It was Audrey. Apparently the band is meeting at the Spa later to hang out and celebrate the successful show from last night. Wanna go?"

I nodded and we heard a knock on the bedroom door. "Shit, that's probably my mom," Sam whispered.

I heard the knocking again, only this time someone spoke. "Sam? You up yet?"

He shot up from behind me and stood up quickly. "Yeah! Gimme a second! Uhh- hide under the covers," he told me while giving me an apologetic look and pulling the blanket up over my head.

"Sam! I'm coming in!" Jodi called while opening the door. "What's wrong honey? We're you doing something... bad? I thought I heard some weird sounds coming from your room..."

"No Mom! I was just..." he paused to think of something. "...doing push-ups! I wanna beat Dad at arm-wrestling some day! ...heh."

"Oh!" she giggled. "That explains why you're all red and sweaty. Okay, well good luck. I'm going to the store I'll see you later."

"Bye Mom," Sam said as she walked out of the room. He sighed once she was gone. "That was close. Alana?"

I crawled out of the bed and stood up. "Yeah that was pretty close."

"I normally wouldn't hide someone like that I just wasn't sure if you wanted my mom knowing about, well... us, I guess." He went a little red and shoved his hands in his pockets.

"It's okay I understand. And I'm glad you did, I want to get more comfortable together before everyone knows."

"That's fine with me, whatever makes you comfortable Alana."

I smiled at his consideration and moved a little closer. He did too and a little hesitantly he held my arms and leaned down to place a kiss on my lips. I felt, as cliche as it is, butterflies in my stomach.

When he pulled back he smiled at me. "Was that okay? I don't wanna cross any boundaries with you. If you're ever uncomfortable you let me know, okay?"

"It was great Sam, trust me," I reassured him. "I'm glad we're taking things slower."

"Me too. Want some pancakes?"

I chucked and nodded.

"Good cause I'm starving."

We walked to the kitchen hand-in-hand and he started to grab ingredients from the cabinets and fridge. He measured some flour and poured it into a bowl. It was way too much.

"How many pancakes are you making, damn!"

"What do you mean?"

I scoffed. "With that much flour you could feed the whole town Sam," I said as I took the measuring cup and scooped out a few cups of it.

"How do you know how to make pancakes so good?"

"I used to want to start a bakery in the city but never had the time or money. I still enjoy baking but I'm happy here just being a farmer," I answered while adding a few more ingredients and stirring the bowl.