- 8 -

1122 words

A few days after the band practice I went to the saloon for lunch and when I walked in I spotted Audrey working at the counter. I waved and she smiled before going to serve someone their food. She then walked over to my table and sat down across from me.

"Hey Alana can I get you anything?"

I ordered my lunch and she went to go get it and when she came back she sat down again.

"Hey I get off work in like 30 minutes if you're not busy do you wanna check out those mines?" she asked.

"Sure! Sounds fun but should I bring anything with us? I have my pickaxe but you said there were monsters and stuff and I don't have any weapons," I said. I was honestly a little scared about the bat things she'd mentioned. We had nothing like that in the city and I hadn't come across anything like that in the town yet.

"Oh that's no problem I can find you an old sword from my dad's shop. He won't mind he's got plenty. I'll bring one too don't worry we'll be safe. Well, technically we won't be cuz there's like- monsters and stuff but- it'll be fine," she explained.

"Wow. I feel so much better Audrey thanks," I said sarcastically.

She laughed and then went back to work. I ate my pizza and when I finished there was about 10 minutes until Audrey finished with work so I payed my bill and waited at the bar.

About 15 minutes later, I went with Audrey out of the saloon and up towards the mountains. We passed by the old community center and Sebastian's house before going east to an opening in the side of the rock.

"Well this is the entrance to the mines but my place is just over here to the right we can stop there real quick for our swords," Audrey said while walking farther east towards a cabin.

When we got inside it was dimly lit and there was no one inside. There was a fireplace next to a shop counter and a bulletin board with a few papers pinned to it. There was also a bear rug on the floor, a door leading to some back rooms, an old wooden rocking chair, and a table in the corner along with some random barrels and maps laying around.

"It's a little weird in here I know sorry about that but I promise we're not psychos," she laughed while grabbing a couple swords from one of the open barrels.

She handed one to me and we went back over to the mine entrance.

"You sure you wanna- oh hey Seb!"

I turned around to see Sebastian walking towards us smoking a cigarette. He must have come from his house.

"Hey. I was just going on a walk I didn't think you guys would be out here," he said while dropping the cig and putting it out with his shoe.

"Yeah we're about to go explore the mines a bit. Wanna come?" I asked.

"Sure why not," he shrugged.

We all entered the mines and it opened into a small cave. It was pretty dark but once my eyes adjusted I could see a broken elevator by the back wall and a wooden ladder going down in the middle of the floor.

I followed Audrey as she climbed down and we came into another small cave. This one had rocks scattered around along with a boulder in the corner. No ladders.

"So... I don't see any ladders. Is this it?" I asked.

"Oh no there's plenty more. The ladders just get covered up by rocks and debris. We gotta use your pick and look around for one," Audrey answered.

I shrugged and took my pickaxe and swung it, hitting a nearby rock. I figured I should probably keep some of the rock for the chicken coop I was still planning on making and I put some of the broken stone into my backpack.

Audrey and Sebastian looked around for gems and geodes while I kept looking for a ladder and eventually some of the rocks I hit uncovered a rickety wooden ladder going down to the second level of the mines.

I waved the others over and we went down to find a cave similar to the one above but bigger and had more stone.

I started looking for another ladder when Audrey yelled "DUCK," and I turned around to see her swinging her sword at a large black mass flying through the sky.

I mirrored Sebastian and dropped to the ground while Audrey hit the thing with her sword once more, causing it to fall at her feet with one final squeal.

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?"

"Just a bat no big deal. Normally they're not aggressive but the ones native to the caves have the tendency to attack people because they aren't used to seeing them around much," Sebastian replied while standing back up and brushing himself off.

I kept looking for another ladder and eventually found one. As we descended to the third level, I heard an odd squishing noise and was immediately on edge. When the cavern came into view it was also similar to the others but there was a large green slimy jumping thing coming at me.

I quickly pulled out my sword and swung it. I hit the slime and it bounced backwards so Audrey could finish it off.

"Okay- maybe this wasn't such a good idea," I said, standing there with slime guts on my face.

"If you wanna leave that's okay but look what I just found!" Audrey said while walking over to me with a small orange gem in her palm.

"What is it?"

"I think it's a tigerseye gem. They're not super rare but still pretty cool. Here you can have it," she said while putting the crystal in my hands.

"Thanks! We should probably head back up though. I don't want to run into any more of those bats or slime things tonight."

They both agreed as we climbed back up the ladders to the top floor and exited the mines.

It was getting a little late so we said goodbye and Sebastian went with Audrey to walk her back to her cabin while I walked to the path that went from the mountains to the northern entrance of my farm.

When I got home I looked at the gem Audrey gave me and the colors made me think of Sam. I wondered if he would like it. I put it on my bedside table and planned to give it to him next time I saw him.