- 2 -

586 words

I woke to sun shining through my window and an alarm ringing. I turned off the alarm and saw it was 6am. This would take a lot of getting used to.

I rolled out of bed and put on some old jean shorts, a black t-shirt, and my black boots. After brushing my hair I noticed a box by the cottage door and looked inside.

There were 15 packets of parsnip seeds and a note from Mayor Lewis welcoming me to the town.

I grabbed the seeds and headed outside seeing some old tools leaning against the house. I grabbed an axe and cleared a small area to plant the seeds. I was already feeling a bit tired but I grabbed the hoe and made spots in the dirt for the seeds. After planting and watering them, I went inside to clean up for a moment before going to take a walk around town.

I left the farm and headed down the dirt path past the bus stop until my feet hit stone and I realized I was already in the town. I passed by a clinic and what looked like a small store. I figured I'd stop by there to see what they sold later.

It was about 12pm as I walked past a saloon. It didn't look open yet so I kept walking until I saw a small bridge that crossed a tiny river. When I got to the other side, I found myself on a beach. There was a small shack and a dock leading to the ocean and what seemed to be some kind of bait shop. I'd never been too into fishing so I turned around to keep exploring.

After walking for a while I had found another farm that seemed to specialize in animals, a forest, a blacksmith, a museum, and a few houses. It was about 6pm when I headed back to the saloon.

When I got inside it was warm and smelled of good food and beer. There was a nice-looking man behind the counter cleaning glasses along with a girl who looked my age. She had dark black hair with bangs and wore a black tank top and green cargo pants with a studded belt and lots of silver jewelry. Her apron showed that she worked here so I walked up to the counter and asked for a drink.

"Of course! Aren't you the new farmer? I heard rumors someone was gonna fix up that old place," she asked while pouring my drink.

"Yeah I'm the old owner's granddaughter Alana. He gave me his old farm," I said, nervous about meeting someone new. The city didn't have many friendly people, but the small town seemed different.

"That's so cool! It's great to meet you, I'm Audrey. If you need any help on the farm or in the town I work here with Gus and Emily most nights so you're welcome to ask," she said.

She handed me my drink with a smile and I thanked her as she walked away to serve an older blonde woman at the other end of the bar.

I looked around the bar seeing a man a little older than me in a JojaMart jacket drinking in the corner, another room that appeared to be a small arcade, and a man with long ginger hair at one of the tables.

After about an half hour I paid my bill, thanked Audrey again, and headed back to the farm.