Chapter 4: The Way We Were

This Chapter is Rated SPG.  Read at your own risk.

———

Present Day: Alphonsus Medical Center

Bee would always find herself like this, just telling Sarah stories. Taking her back to the way they were. She held on to Sarah's frail hands as her fingers delicately fit them with Sarah's own. It still fits perfectly, she thought.

The thing was... alala mo, Sarah? Ang hirap nung nagsimula yung kompanya? Beatrice Beauty was a flop in the beginning.

Dad refused to be an investor. You moved your life to Metro Manila, risking it all without family. Spending all your savings on this venture.

Sabi ko nga parang baby natin ito,' diba?

Sobrang gamble ang ginawa natin, ano? Dad even told me we were doomed to fail. We were struggling.

But can I tell you a secret? Don't hate me for it, please. But I enjoyed those days back when we were grappling with failure. Yung mga panahon na palpak. Mga panahon na hindi pa natin alam. Want to know why? Kasi it felt like the world was just for the two of us, Sarah. It felt like we could do anything. Alam mo ba? I looked forward to being in that little start-up office in Makati?

Alam mo ba? My usual drink for breakfast was red wine — I started drinking coffee because I did not want you to get mad at me? How I wish I told you back then.

How I wish you knew how — I look forward to the work, that small, cheap na masikip na office, the long conversations, kahit yung mga hassle, mga takeout sa Jollibee .... I looked forward to — just you. I cannot wait to start the day with you. And right now, I cannot wait to start my life with you. If you would allow me to... Sarah, please wake up.

—-----------------------------

Makati, 2018

Beatrice clearly remembered that day when a scatter-brained Sarah would tell her a mundane story about her neighbor's cat. The cat that always pissed on her carpet. She had told the story numerous times but each time, Beatrice would have the patience for her. Something that was never in the Beatrice Royales vocabulary. Her patience was paper thin. There were times when Sarah would even forget her whole book bag that had her Mac laptop.

If it was any other person, she would have had no patience and called it incompetence.

But it was Sarah .... And everyone around Beatrice Royales knew Sarah Lim was special. Sarah Lim made Ma'am Bee different.

Bee would peek out from her corner of the office, everyday waiting for Sarah to tell her mundane stories. Oftentimes, she acted like she was irritated. But that particular day, she could not help herself from smiling. Her round eyes had a playful glint as she stared at Sarah. She sipped her black coffee that Sarah prepared for her, somehow Sarah knew the right amount of bitterness and sweetness in her coffee.

"Nakakastress talaga, Bee! I mean the white cat peed ba naman pero cute naman kasi siya,e," Sarah mused.

"Alam mo — kung hindi ka lang cute, nasabi ko nang incompetent ka," Bee whispered.

"Ha?"

"Sabi ko — where's your bag? May meeting pa tayo mamaya?"

A klutzy Sarah started scrambling in the office, running to find her book bag.

As Sarah was going around with stacks of folders and binders on her arms, Bee found herself laughing.

Genuinely. Happily. Truly.