✮ 7.

In what seemed like no time at all, the U20 versus Blue Lock match dawned upon both teams. To the national team, this was merely another match to brush over, but to the Blue Lock team, this was a fight for life or death.

After thorough reviews of the U20's playing style and key players, every striker on the opposing team thought they were somewhat ready for a full-on game. As long as they could snuff out Sae, Shidou and the (H/C) centre forward, they would be able to control the field. However, what they hadn't accounted for was the lack of two of those players and needless to say, nor had the U20 team.

"I'm getting benched!?" burst out Shidou and (Y/N) simultaneously as the two looked at the team lineup. Sure, (Y/N) had never really 'enjoyed' playing, per se, but being benched after starting as a regular the entire beginning of the season was... disappointing to say the least.

"We decided it was a necessary decision to, um, balance the team." replied Oliver, not meeting their eyes. From a glance, (Y/N) could tell he was lying, but respected his ego enough to not call him out on it. They were sure he knew what he was doing, right?

"Fine," said (Y/N) after a brief pause in which he glanced over at Sae, meeting his eyes for a fleeting moment, "I'll trust you then, captain." From the tone of their voice, every regular on the team knew that they were mad, no, livid. Oliver felt himself start sweating slightly as he coughed, changing the subject as the starting 11 lined up near the door.

The Blue Lock starters lined up in the hallway, next to the U20 team, observing and staring down their competition. They were surprised when they didn't see the familiar face of Shidou, wondering what strategy the team might've come up with without such a powerful player.

However, they had bigger things to worry about. Every nerve is the boys' bodies were sparked as they walked single-file onto the field amidst roars and yells. Despite the high-energy setup, the real game was only just beginning...

"The opponent's starting lineup doesn't include Shidou?!" gasped Igarashi, staring at the large screen installed in the locker room where the Blue Lock substitutions sat. The other players furrowed their brows in curiosity and shock too, caught off-guard by this turn of events.

"Why the hell not!?" questioned a blonde, shark-toothed striker, Raichi, "Are they looking down on us?!"

"Maybe he didn't mix too well over there either?" suggested the cyan haired Hiori, approaching the situation with a more logical and reasoned approach. It was then that a sudden sound came from a buff, stuttering boy.

"W-w-wait! Th-They aren't p-playing (L/N) e-either!" remarked Tokimitsu, making the athletes stare even closer at the screen, examining the lineup yet again.

"You're right," affirmed a purple haired boy, "Benching Shidou I can understand, but their key playmaker too? Maybe they are looking down on us..."
"What?!"

"I'll kill them!"

"Perhaps they had some problems with Sae?" piped up Hiori, acting as the most logical person in the room yet again, "though I can't imagine those two prodigies struggling to get along." Reo, the purple haired one, nodded, seeming to agree with this line of thought as he turned back to the screen.

"Don't worry about it," said a man in glasses with a bowl cut, straightening his tie as he captured the attention of every person in the vicinity, "It doesn't change what you all have to do." It was obvious that he must be their coach as he spoke with such authority. All the boys nodded, ready for this moment for which they had been preparing for so long.
"Execute the plan, you unpolished gems..."