✮ 17.

(Y/N)'s first instinct was to punch Kaiser, but due to what the ace had already been through, they decided against it, leaving themselves in quite an awkward situation. Perhaps, two years ago, this might've been their unrealistic fantasy, where their crush liked them back. However, thanks to one death and a rejection later, they only felt hurt where love should be.

The kiss was warm, though devoid of affection; a one-sided affair. (Y/N) jerked backwards immediately, only granting Kaiser a second of lip contact before they shrank away, pressing a hand to their mouth. The blonde almost stepped after them, intending to continue this before he saw the look of shock and horror in their eyes.

They stared at each other for a bit, each trying to process what was happening in the other's mind. Finally, Kaiser, the instigator, spoke up, his voice tense as his eyes flicked from (Y/N)'s eyes to their mouth. He wet his lower lip before speaking.

"Oh... so you... didn't mean it like that?" He asked, a trace of guilt and awkwardness in his slightly hoarse voice. For a second, he hoped that (Y/N) had just been scared or nervous, but of course, how could that be the case? Wait, had he just stolen their first kiss? Some part of him was mortified, but the other was disgustingly happy.

"I... didn't." (Y/N) replied hollowly, still trying to process what'd just happened. They looked away quickly, fixing their gaze on a section of wall to Kaiser's right. Their head spun, not from embarrassment, but from confusion and an advanced course of surprise.

"But..." Kaiser started meekly, his voice growing weaker by the second. If any of his teammates saw him now, it'd be difficult to associate this version of the striker to the hotheaded and temporal one they usually dealt with, "You said... Back in Germany... you said that you..."

His voice trailed into nothingness as the pair stood there, each looking sad and disappointed, though in different ways. Part of (Y/N) felt bad for breaking Kaiser's heart like this, but they knew that their heart lay elsewhere... but where? They took a shifty half-step back, the guilt rising to their throat.

"A lot... can change in two years," they muttered quietly, not daring to look at Kaiser's eyes. The blonde understood suddenly. All of this all of this was his fault. He should've been there all along, never have left (Y/N) in their time of need. He surmised that because of his screw-up, they must've gone through ten times the pain that they should've.

"...are we still friends?" Kaiser enunciated lowly, the words coming out quiet but clear. (Y/N) tried to look up at him, regretting the decision immediately. What they saw wasn't an arrogant nor egocentric prick, but a new side of the man and he looked... devastated. The strong and blue eyes that they'd used to lose themselves in so much were now glassy as if close to tears. An arrow of culpability skewered them, leaving their breath hitched in their throat.

"Yes," they replied instantly, fighting the use to go and put a hand on Kaiser's shoulder in comfort, "We're... just friends, nothing more." (Y/N) refused to look away again, not submitting fear nor anger. This was a stance they wanted to take and that they wouldn't waver on. Their heart belonged somewhere else, to someone else... wait, what?

The awkward silence stretched, making (Y/N)'s stomach do a series of aerial tricks within themselves. They saw Kaiser's mouth twitch, as if he was about to dissuade them or try to talk them into something else again. Thankfully, another voice called out from the exit behind Kaiser, mature and enthusiastic. The two could recognize that tone anywhere.

"(N/N)!" Oliver called, eyeing Kaiser suspiciously, most of his attention still fixed on (Y/N). With a sigh of relief, the (H/C) athlete push past their blonde companion, their eyes lighting up immediately at the sight of the newcomer.