✮ 13.

With a whistle, the race started. As expected, the Bastard Munchen regulars were in the lead, leaving the rest in their wake. Even with the rigorous training that the Blue Lock players had endured, it was still incomparable to the international level athletes.

(Y/N), however, kept up quite well, shoulder to shoulder with Kaiser, each determined to prove themselves better than the other. Even though they were keeping up with their daily exercises and practices, the German routines were no doubt more effective.

Therefore, it was no surprise when Kaiser eventually broke their deadlock, taking the lead. (Y/N) cursed, but they weren't going down so easily. Throughout the uphill sprint, ladders and floating platforms, there were less than two steps behind the team ace, barely noticing that they were one of the few able to keep up.

Feeling as though ice was forming in their chest as they ran, (Y/N) finally made it to the dribbling section, neck and neck with Kaiser. Ever since their time as teammates, the two had very separate strengths. Though evenly matched in physicality, the pair specialized in different fields.

While Kaiser walked the path of powerful shots and complex attacks, (Y/N) had always proven their worth with their strong ball control and ability to exploit weaknesses. Being two sides of the same coin, it was no wonder why the power duo had taken Europe by storm, working as a seamless link-up.

Kaiser was faster because of his training over the last years, but (Y/N) was nimble and lithe, managing to take a slight lead in the dribbling contest as they weaved around the markers. Now very literally at a tie, the two shot only milliseconds apart, both aiming for the center of the target.

Both their aims were true, hitting a high score, but by mere splinters, Kaiser had hit first. Since the striker had a more powerful kick, (Y/N) had suspected that the end of their battle might end like this. Well, they specialized in long shots for a reason. They'd always known that they could never defeat their former friend in that aspect of things.

The two panted, looking up at the screen. (Y/N) irked, seeing the 0.1 second difference between their times. Not wanting to look weak, neither backed down from their stance, though they were both panting heavily. Kaiser usually didn't sweat or feel tired at all, not even after games, but he'd really had to give it his all to emerge victorious this time. Looking at the final scores told the same story.

"ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇɴ'ᴛ ᴄʜᴀɴɢᴇᴅ ᴀᴛ ᴀʟʟ," Kaiser said between breaths, trying to refill his lungs with fresh air as he stared at the form of his ex-best friend. (Y/N) merely glared at him, feeling too tired to respond at the moment as they tried to figure out their mixed emotions. If only Oliver was here to help them out.

(Y/N) merely turned around as they heard the sounds of more balls hitting the targets adjacent to them. They finally noticed that they were the only one among the finished competitors that wasn't (currently) playing for Germany.

"(ʏ/ɴ)!" called a familiar voice, making them spin around. Ness waved over, hurrying to stand beside Kaiser. Unlike their uneasiness around the ace, (Y/N)'s face brightened instantly, exclaiming a happy "ᴀʟᴇxɪꜱ!" before embracing the boy in a big hug. Since the two had never fought at all to begin with, there was no need to act distant.

Kaiser glowered at the duo, feeling an odd twinge of jealousy and guilt nab at him. He cursed under his breath, blaming himself for this rift between them as he wondered why Ness, his supporting act, was getting all this attention from (Y/N).

Fearing he might soon punch something, the striker walked off, leaving Ness and (Y/N) to converse with their (admittedly rusty) German. Once the Blue Lock and U20 players finally appeared, the purple haired boy muttered a quick curse and hurried away, apparently having forgotten something.