Finally Explained

As everyone cleared out and Peter was dealt with Adam sat idly watching Derek closely. The new alpha was very aware of the piercing gaze and did his best to ignore it.
"You said delta." Adam said jumping up from his seated position as Derek walked past him.
"I did." Derek told him shortly.
"Why Delta? What's delta?" Adam asked following behind him.
"How do you not know? Delta's can't be turned. You can only be born into it. That means one or both of your parents are one." Derek told him.
"My dad is a recovering alcoholic gym coach and my mom worked at the bank." Adam said shaking his head.
"Worked? What does she do now? Maybe it's her." Derek said.
"Nothing, she's dead." Adam told him with a slight glare.
"Look, I don't know a whole lot about them. They are pretty much the rarest strain of werewolf you can be. I'm guessing you're new. What happened?" Derek asked him leaning against the hood of Adam's car.
"What do you mean what happened?" Adam asked him crossing his arms.
"Something bad must have happened recently. Something that caused a lot of panic or anger. Any negative emotion really." Derek told him.
"Lydia. Peter attacked Lydia." Adam told him looking over to the spot Peter died.
"Traumatic situations wake a delta wolf. Delta's are stronger than most wolves. Even alphas in some cases. Deltas can ascend in a way, almost like becoming an alpha but not exactly. They become stronger. Their bite can turn with the added bonus that it can't kill. A regular alpha has to worry about the possibility of the bite turning to poison in someone's veins, delta doesn't." Derek told him with a shrug.
"How does one ascend?" Adam asked him finally walking over to Derek and leaning next to him.
"Good moral character. There is an alpha, it's called a true alpha. The only way to become one is by never taking a life, a natural-born alpha through the sheer willpower of their noble character and inner strength. It works the same way with a delta." He answered.
"So why wouldn't a delta be called an alpha then?" Adam asked creasing his brows and shaking his head.
"Delta's live to protect their chosen alpha, so therefore they can never surpass him in status. Funny enough if they do ascend the only alpha that could stand against one is a true alpha." Derek told him pushing off the car.
"So how does one find a true alpha?" Adam called after him.
"You don't, there hasn't been one in a very very long time." Derek told him as he stepped into the burned remains of his childhood home. Adam flinched slightly as the horn of his car started blaring. He turned to glare at Stiles as he grinned and bounced in the passenger seat while Scott sat gaping behind in the back. Adam sighed and walked around the car sliding into the driver seat.
"This is so cool." Stiles told him smiling like a kid on Christmas.
"Don't get any ideas." Adam told him starting the car.
"It's too late I already have so many. That must be why Peter didn't want to fight you. Maybe you could have taken him out. The Argents avoided you and Derek treated you like a civilized person." Stiles rambled on.
"I'll leave all that to you then. I'm more worried about how I'm going to explain to my dad why it's two in the morning and I'm not home. I don't even know where my phone is. He's probably already called your dad over to my house." Adam sighed. Stiles wasn't listening as he went on a tangent about Adam's newfound wolf hood and Scott sat silently in the back engrossed in his own thoughts.

[Super short chapter to make of for the neglect. Just a little between the seasons explanation into Adam. Things will be explained more in-depth as Adam experiences them throughout the story. Thank you for reading! and I hope you enjoyed this.]