A Dark Mind

Hyrule Castle Town

Five Champions stood together, now awakened as powerful Sages.

Goron vigilance, Daruk. Rito confidence, Revali. Gerudo spirit, Urbosa. And also...the Hylian with the sword that seals the darkness, Link.

But they were more than warriors and Sages. They were friends. They were a team.

They led their soldiers from across the kingdom in combat against hordes of monsters and demons.

"Wait, is that really Link?" asked the Lieutenant when he saw the Hero. "The man, the myth, the legend?"

"Indeed it is, Lieutenant," replied the Captain.

"Father," Link said, approaching the captain.

"Son." the Captain said. "We're in this together remember?"

"You do you," Link replied. "I've got my own team now."

Link turned his back on his father, and met up with the Champions at the sacred ground.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Daruk asked. "Isn't there supposed to be some giant monster to fight?"

"Doesn't always work that way, Daruk." Urbosa said. "But there's one thing I know about this battle, and it's that whoever is behind this will pay for what happened to Zelda."

"Somehow, I sense that she's still out there..." Link said. "I just- I just know. Because as long as she lives, my blade has power, remember? So she must be out there somewhere."

"Well, that's good." Revali said. "I trust you to know that, Link."

"Did I miss something?" Urbosa asked.

"A lot." Mipha replied.

Suddenly, the Blood Moon appeared in the sky, and the clouds darkened, as the day was slaughtered by the crushing force of a demonic night.

Dark Link appeared before the Champions.

"Before I kill you all, allow me to entertain one thought," Dark Link said. "Tell me... What is a Champion? Give me your honest definition."

Urbosa was about to reply, but was interrupted by Dark Link.

"Me personally?" Dark Link answered. "A Champion is someone who becomes stronger than everyone else. A Champion wins always, never taking a loss. A Champion is invincible."

"Then you are a fool," Link said. "Nobody is invincible. A Champion is merely someone who is very good at their trade. And a Champion has a soul of courage, too. Now let me entertain a question, demon. Who are you really, and what is your purpose here?"

"It is quite simple, really." Dark Link said. "I am you, Link. I am the embodiment of the dark side of your mind. Now really, it gets far more complicated than that, but the truth is for you to interpret. But wait, I just remembered, you won't have time to ponder my origins if you're dead!"

Dark Link lunged at the hero, who was unprepared, shaken by the demon's words. But it was Mipha, Sage of Water, who lunged in front of Link, taking a blow to the chest from the demon's blade.

"Fool!" Dark Link said. "You are straying off the plan far too much! Link was meant to die first, so I could see you all grieve and mourn over him before you yourselves die!"

"Shut the hell up!" Link yelled. "I swear to Hylia, I'll cut you up with my sword and make sure you live to feel all the pain!"

Link charged at Dark Link, the Master Sword shining bright, but the dark reflection of course knew Link's every move, and sidestepped the attack. Fortunately, this meant Link could also predict Dark Link's attacks, and was able to dodge the shadow's retaliation. But this meant that the fight would be a draw without help from the Champions.