Chapter Six

Once outside, Sherlock pulls his coat on as Enzo does the same with his jacket

Once outside, Sherlock pulls his coat on as Enzo does the same with his jacket. The man in the back of the taxi turns and looks out the back window, turning back to the front just before the taxi pulls away from the kerb. Sherlock and Enzo immediately follow, not looking and almost being hit by a car as they plan out the route in their heads. John puts one hand on the bonnet of the car and vaults over "Sorry." he apologises.Sherlock and Enzo run slightly before stopping when they realise that they're not going to catch up to the cab "I've got the cab number." John tells them. "Good for you." Enzo responds, closing his eyes and pulling up a mental map. Sherlock does the same "Right turn, one way, roadworks, traffic lights, bus lane, pedestrian crossing, left turn only, traffic lights." the brothers quickly work out simultaneously. They both run off, John following behind them. Enzo frowns before running over to a metal spiral fire escape, running up with with Sherlock and John close on his heels "Come on, John." Sherlock says. Enzo sprints ahead and jumps between two buildings, Sherlock copying. John follows but stops when he reaches the ledge "Come on, John. We're losing him!" Sherlock calls back to him. Going back a couple of paces, John leaps across the gap.

They all continue running, coming out of an alleyway as the taxi drives past "Ah, no! This way." Sherlock says, running in the opposite direction of the taxi. John instinctively runs after the taxi "No, this way!" Enzo calls. "Sorry." John responds, turning and running to catch up with the brothers. Sherlock picks up speed and slams into the front of the taxi, pulling out an ID badge and showing it to the cab driver "Police! Open her up!" he tells them. Enzo pants and leans against the wall, trying to catch his breathe. Sherlock opens the cab door and stands straight "No. Teeth, tan: what – Californian? L.A., Santa Monica. Just arrived." he says. "How can you possibly know that?" John asks. "The luggage." sherlock responds, motioning to the bags. John looking down and reading the sticker on the case "It's probably your first trip to London, right, going by your final destination and the route the cabbie was taking you?" Sherlock asks the man. "Sorry – are you guys the police?" the man asks. "Yeah. Everything all right?" Sherlock responds, flashing the ID badge quickly at the man. "Yeah." he responds with a bemused smile. Sherlock pauses for a second before smiling "Welcome to London." he tells the man, walking over to Enzo and checking him over with his eyes. John steps closer to the door and looks at the passenger "Er, any problems, just let us know." he says, smiling politely before closing the door.

John walks over and joins the brothers "Basically just a cab that happened to slow down." he says. "Basically." Enzo nods with a slight grimace, holding his side slightly. "Not the murderer." John adds. "Not the murderer, no." Sherlock responds exasperatedly. "Wrong country, good alibi." John nods. "As they go." Sherlock tells him. John notices the ID as Sherlock passes it from one hand to another "Hey, where-where did you get this? Here." he asks, grabbing the card "Right. Detective Inspector Lestrade?" he reads. "Yeah. Enzo and I pickpocket him when he's annoying. You can keep that one, we've got plenty at the flat." Sherlock tells him. John nods, looking at the card before giggling slightly "What?" Enzo asks. "Nothing, just: 'Welcome to London'." John laughs. Sherlock and Enzo chuckle, looking at the passenger of the cab as he talks to a police officer and points at them "Got your breath back?" Sherlock asks. "Ready when you are." John responds as Enzo nods, the three of them turning and running in the opposite direction.