Chapter Fifteen

Enzo takes pictures of the graffiti on his phone, Sherlock staring at them intently

Enzo takes pictures of the graffiti on his phone, Sherlock staring at them intently. Looking over, Enzo walks over to the windows pulls the blinds up before looking out. Opening the door, he walks out onto the balcony. Sherlock joins him, the two of them looking at the drop to the ground. They walk back in and head back onto the trading floor, the two of them splitting up to find where the graffiti can be seen from. Enzo walks into an office and stands behind a desk, seeing the graffiti clearly. Smirking in triumph, he goes to the door and slides the name sign out of its holder. Walking over to his brother, he shows him the label reading 'Edward Van Coon' "Hong Kong" he tells him. Sherlock nods, the two of them going to find John. Finding him, they lead him back to the escalators "Two trips around the world this month. You didn't ask his secretary; you said that just to irritate him. How did you know?" John asks. "Did you see his watch?" Sherlock asks. "His watch?" John asks. "The time was right but the date was wrong. Said two days ago. Crossed the dateline twice but he didn't alter it." Enzo explains. "Within a month? How'd you get that part?" John frowns. "New Breitling. Only came out this February." Enzo responds.

"Okay. So d'you think we should sniff around here for a bit longer?" John asks. "Got everything we need to know already, thanks." Sherlock tells him. "Hmm?" John hums. "That graffiti was a message for someone at the bank working on the trading floors. We find the intended recipient and..." Sherlock trails off. "...they'll lead us to the person who sent it." John finishes. "Obvious." Enzo nods. "Well, there's three hundred people up there. Who was it meant for?" John asks. "Pillars." Sherlock tells him. "What?" John frowns. "Pillars and the screens. Very few places you can see that graffiti from. That narrows the field considerably. And of course the message was left at eleven thirty-four last night. That tells us a lot." Enzo elaborates. "Does it?" John asks him. "Traders come to work at all hours. Some trade with Hong Kong in the middle of the night. That message was intended for someone who came in at midnight." Sherlock explains as they walk through the rotating doors. Enzo holds up the name card "Not many Van Coons in the phonebook." he tells John. "Taxi!" Sherlock calls, hailing a taxi for them.

Reaching the block of flats, Sherlock presses the door buzzer marked 'Van Coon'. Getting no response, Enzo looks at the flats before looking at a buzzer "So what do we do now? Sit here and wait for him to come back?" John asks. "Just moved in." Enzo tells him. "What?" John asks. "The floor above. New label." Enzo tells him, pointing at the buzzer labeled 'Wintle'. "Could have just replaced it." John responds. Sherlock presses the buzzer "No-one ever does that." he tells John. "Hello?" a female voice asks. "Hi! Um, I live in the flat just below you. I-I don't think we've met." Sherlock responds in a sweet voice. "No, well, uh, I've just moved in." Wintle responds. Enzo grins at John "Actually, I've just locked my keys in my flat." Sherlock tells her. "D'you want me to buzz you in?" she asks. "Yeah. And can I use your balcony?" Sherlock asks. "What?" Wintle asks in confusion.

Enzo and Sherlock stand on Wintle's balcony, looking down at Van Coon's balcony. Climbing up and over, the two of them drop onto Van Coon's balcony. Sherlock opens the door, the two of them walking inside. Looking round, Enzo opens the fridge to reveal nothing but bottles of champagne. They move through the apartment "Enzo. Sherlock. Enzo, Sherlock, are you okay?" John asks through the door. Enzo looks in the bathroom, looking at the minimal amount of stuff "Yeah, any time you feel like letting me in." John tells them. Sherlock tries to open the bedroom door, finding it locked. Turning side on, he forces it open. Walking in the brothers find Van Coon dead on the bed, a pistol on the floor and a bullet hole in Van Coon's head.