14. Since the End of the World

*One month since the end of the world*

There was a sound to her left, it was so slight- so faint- yet it made Evelyn stiffen.

She was on her feet with her weapon grasped tightly in her hand within seconds.

Despite the fact that it could've just been a rodent- or perhaps the wind blowing something around- the woman braced herself.

"Come on, there has to be something this way-"

Evelyn had her gun pointed and at the ready with the safety off before the owner of the voice even had time to finish turning the corner.

Three men froze in sync, eyes widening as they took in the sight before them. And what a sight that must've been.

She could guarantee that her hair was tossed every which way. She could feel the layers of grime and dirt caking her. She knew that her clothes were torn in multiple places.

What could she say? It had been a rough month.

All three of the men immediately reached for their own weapons- which were still foolishly holstered at their sides- only to pause mid movement when Evelyn clicked her tongue.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," She warned in a low voice.

Slowly, all the men raised their hands in surrender.

"Guys," The middle one stage-whispered, eyes wide in fright, "The gun is pointed at my dick."

"Shut up, Daniel." The one to his right hissed.

"It's pointed at my dick!" He exclaimed, tone louder and more full of panic.

"Would you rather it be pointed at your face?" The last one snapped, eyes yet to tear away from the weapon pointed at his friend.

"Actually, yes!" The man named Daniel snapped back, throwing him a glare for a brief second, "Believe it or not, I would rather have the gun pointed at my face than at my dick!"

Quirking one eyebrow, Evelyn slowly moved the gun from being pointed at his crotch, to straight at his face.

Daniel gulped and the man to the left of him shot him a glare, "Happy now?"

"Thrilled." He answered, bobbing his head up and down.

"What do you want?" Evelyn asked gruffly, eyes narrowed dangerously at the trio.

"We're just looking for some food, maybe water," Daniel said slowly, as to not anger or set her off, especially now that he was unsure about just where she would shoot him.

"I'm going to give you one chance to turn around and get out of here." Her weapon was yet to waver from its position.

She had been staying in this abandoned convenience store for about a week now, after having cleared it of creepers, and didn't plan on giving it up on account of some people looking to steal her supplies.

"We have a group," The middle man continued stupidly, ignoring the panicked looks his friends were sending him, "We have some medical supplies, a good place to stay. There's families. Children. We even have some comic books- I love reading them even though I'm always being told that they're for the kids-" He was beginning to ramble, and it was trying at Evelyn's patience.

Slowly, she moved the gun to face his crotch again, a silent demand to get to point.

"You could join us." He quickly offered, "Not that you really seem to need it, but we can give you protection. It's better than being alone."