41. The Day

"Today's the day," Rick spoke, determination lacing his tone.

"Uh huh," Daryl grunted, reaching up and swatting at Evelyn's foot that had come up to rest on the shoulder part of his seat.

In turn, the woman scowled from her spot in the back of the car, moving her foot slightly to kick the man gently on the side of the head. They had barely begun and her legs were already cramping in the back of the car. So, naturally, she had lifted them to rest on the seat in front of her.

If she was gonna lose the fight against Daryl for shotgun, then she sure as hell was gonna be as comfortable as she could in the back.

"We're gonna find food, maybe some people." Grimes continued, ignoring the small fight the two were having, "The law of averages has gotta catch up."

"When has the law of averages ever been in our favor?" Evelyn piped up, getting comfortable once more now that Daryl gave up and let her foot rest there, instead shifting over to the side so that he was closer to the window.

The man driving glanced into the rearview mirror, locking eyes with Wright, "Have some faith, day's young."

Daryl grunted once more, "I don' know. We ain't seen nobody for weeks."

That was true, in the two month span that had passed since Deanna's death, the trio had gone out scavenging at least a few times a week, never seeing a living person amongst the thousands of walking corpses.

Evelyn scoffed playfully, "Don't I know it, I've been stuck with you two idiots forever without anyone to offset it."

Daryl propped his arm up on the window sill, using his other elbow to gently nudge the woman's foot again at the jest, "Maybe we ain't gonna find nobody. Maybe that's a good thing." He glanced to Rick as he spoke.

The man turned his head, looking to Dixon, who had already turned his gaze out the window and silence filled the vehicle for a moment. Evelyn allowed her eyes to jump back and forth between the two men, waiting for something to happen.

Instead of speaking, Rick reached forward and began shuffling through some items in the center console that had been collected and placed there by the three of them for long car trips like this.

The woman lifted her foot from the seat in front of her, instead, placing it down on the ground as she leaned forward in her seat, her elbows resting against her knees, a spark of mischief passing through both hers and Rick's eyes at the same moment when she saw what he was doing.

Only a second passed before the movement caught Daryl's eye and he turned to the man driving, his hand dropping away from his face, "Don't." He was ignored, "Don't. Please don't." He begged.

He was paid no mind as Rick popped in the CD and began snapping as soon as sound filled the speakers.

'Give me the downbeat, maestro.'

Evelyn mouthed the words from the backseat, imminently swaying her body from side to side as the tune took over the car, enjoying the way Daryl groaned in annoyance while grins grew on hers and Rick's face.

'I want to lay it on the line,'

Daryl dropped his head into his hands once more as Rick continued snapping to the beat and turned up the volume to make it nearly impossible for any one person to think.

"Draws them away from home!" He shouted over the music, everyone in the car knowing very well that he was just doing it to get under the man's skin.

"Hear me?" Evelyn sang loudly, pointing her finger to the man in the driver's seat.

"Action packed!" Rick continued the line.