18. Flames

"Come on, get up."

By now, Daniel had resorted to trying to physically drag Evelyn out of bed by pulling her leg. The girl, in turn, grabbed onto the bed frame so he couldn't achieve his goal.

"No," She whined, turning her head deeper into her pillow, "Leave me alone,"

It had been two days since the woman had woken up, and things have gone by pretty smoothly. Her wound had healed faster then she thought and she almost couldn't feel it anymore.

She mostly stayed to herself while Daniel was his normal, overly friendly self to everyone. While he came to her, talking about all these new people he met, she just sat by and nodded along.

All she honestly cared about was that she had no more run-ins with Daryl.

Maybe he finally did her a favor and decided to leave her alone. That's something he used to be very good at anyway.

Now that Evelyn finally had a bed, she didn't want to leave it. Even if it was no doubt an uncomfortable mattress, it was luxury compared to all the sleeping on the ground she had done within the last year.

"You need to start interacting with people," Her friend grunted as he tried again to drag her off the bed, "So, I think this is a pretty good place to start."

"I don't wanna go explore this stupid prison." Evelyn mumbled into her pillow, in turn making the words muffled.

Daniel sighed, dropping her foot and moving to begin prying her hands off the headboard, "I use the word 'exploring' loosely. They finally found a map of the whole prison yesterday and there's apparently another kitchen they haven't been able to look at yet. Us and a couple other people are going to go see if we can scavenge any supplies from it."

Slowly, Evelyn peeled a single eye open and looked up at Daniel, "What people?"

"Glenn and Carl." He put his hands on his hips and peered down at her.

Evelyn thought this over for a moment before mumbling, "I like them."

A smile tugged on the man's lips, "Yes, you do. Now, come on. I already volunteered you and they're waiting for us."

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙

Glenn led the small group down the dark, narrow hallway, flashlight poised just above his gun. Daniel followed directly after him, in a similar stance.

Carl and Evelyn carried up the rear, both being able to walk side by side as they did so, mostly because Evelyn didn't want the young boy in the back all by himself.

Daniel apparently had her gun all along and gave it back to her for this expedition. According to him, he was keeping it until he knew that she wouldn't go around shooting everything- which she often times did when faced with the unknown.

"Hey," Carl whispered, eyes trained on the side of her face.

Evelyn glanced down at him for a second, "Hey," She greeted back, unsure of what the boy was trying to do.

"You come here often?" He asked, winking at her.

Or, at least he clearly thought he was winking. He was actually just blinking hard with both eyes.

Evelyn couldn't help it, she let out a quick, startled laugh, making Glenn and Daniel turn with raised eyebrows.

The young boy just stood there, beaming with pride at being able to make her laugh.

"We're here," Glenn announced lowly before anything else could take place that could potentially end with Evelyn giving up their position to any walker that might be in the area.