22. Sickness

"Easy now," Daniel's eyes flitted back and forth between Evelyn and the ground nervously.

The woman huffed out a breath, shifting her weight against him, "I swear to god, talk to me like I'm a horse one more time and I'm gonna shoot you where the sun don't shine." She grunted.

Daniel rolled his eyes, adjusting his arm around her waist, "I'm just worried," He told her honestly, "We thought you were fine last time, but you just wound right back up in a medical bed. I mean, should I even be helping you walk around right now? Is Hershel gonna come around the corner and beat my ass if he sees me?"

That at least got an amused chuckle out of her at the thought of the old man chasing a screaming Daniel down the hall whilst on crutches, "He didn't say that I was strictly on bed rest or anything, he just said that I had to take it easy."

The man eyed her for another moment before sighing, "Fine, but if he comes after me, I'm using you as a human shield."

The two maneuvered slowly through the prison courtyard, Evelyn soaking up the first rays of sunshine she had seen in hours.

After having talked with Daryl, the man had left and Daniel had arrived only moments later, already talking her ear off about one thing or another.

She had insisted upon him going out with her for a walk- saying that either it was that he brought her or she went on her own. He obviously chose the former.

Briefly, from a safe distance away, Evelyn had spotted Carl and given the young boy a wave.

Beth had been nearby as well and had to put a hand on the boys shoulder to keep him from lunging forward, looking as if he was going to hug the woman.

The two had quickly explained that all of the children were moving into a safe room away from everyone before going on their way, though Carl seemed more hesitant than before.

"Yup, we need you."

There it was. That familiar Southern drawl that always made Evelyn's attention float in whichever direction it was coming from no matter the circumstance.

Her eyes drifted over to where Daryl stood, Bob at his side, standing next to a car that they looked as though they were packing up.

Daniels eyes followed the woman's line of vision and he gently pulled them to a stop, lips pursing slightly.

"E..." He trailed off, seemingly trying to mull over his next words carefully, "I-I know that you two... talked. I don't know what it was about, but I don't like it. I don't trust this guy-"

Though they were just out of hearing distance and the man's voice had dropped to where only Evelyn could hear, Daryl's eyes floated over to the pair, almost as if he could sense that they were there.

Evelyn didn't seem to be listening to a single word her friend was saying as she slipped out of his hold- him still too busy rambling to catch her- and slowly made her way over to Daryl, trying not to wince with each step she took.

"Where're you goin'?" She called out to him as he took some long strides to meet her halfway.

Instead of answering, his eyes drifted down to her stomach, "Should you be up and about right now?"

Just as he said that, Daniel seemed to have come to his senses and quickly took up position back at the woman's side, slipping an arm around her waist again.

Though she refused to say anything- she leaned into him a bit, secretly relieved to have him there to support her. Both physically and emotionally. Only because her side really did hurt and she didn't know how to feel about talking to Daryl like this, only hours after their last conversation in the cell.