40. Things We Need to Get Over

"I'm sorry, can you repeat that again, but slower? I just wanna make sure that you didn't just say what I think you- oh, nope you definitely said what I thought you said. Wow." Daniel breathed out in mock disbelief, leaning back on the couch cushions.

Chuckles erupted from all around him as Abraham playfully rolled his eyes, glancing around the room, "Oh, come on! Y'all are telling me that you genuinely knew that they weren't together? All their lovey-dovey shit and gooey eyes at one another never once made any of you think 'Oh, hey, that's kinda a weird way for two people that aren't together to act. They must be in love'?"

Maggie snickered, leaning her head against Glenns shoulder from where they sat, on the other side of the couch that Daniel and Caspian were occupying, the two of them also in a similar position, "Believe me, we knew they were most likely in love. We also knew that they were a couple of oblivious idiots, though."

Rick nodded, "I've been planning their wedding since the prison." He joked, causing everyone to laugh loudly.

Michonne looked around, noticing that besides the kids and a couple others, the two people in question were the only ones missing from the living room that they were all hanging around at the moment, "Where are they anyway?"

A look of mischief sparked in Taras eyes from where she and Deneise were sitting on the ground by the fireplace, "I asked Evelyn if she could take my shift to keep watch tonight." It was silent as she waited for everyone to catch on, and when no one did, she spoke again, "Daryl also has a shift tonight. We were supposed to have it together."

The sound of laughter took over the room once more.

"Should someone go check to make sure they're actually keeping watch?" Glenn snickered, only partially joking.

Daniel made a weird noise that was between a sound of disgust and a shriek as his hands hurriedly came up to cover his ears, "I don't want to hear that!" He complained loudly.

.·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙

"Daryl," Evelyn detached her hands from his hair and placed them on his chest, gently pushed away, breathless, "We need to be keeping watch."

The man hummed slightly, not really appearing to have heard her as he chased her lips with his own, his hands not moving from where they had fallen to her hips.

Albeit reluctantly, the woman turned her head to the side so that his lips gently touched her cheek instead of the intended destination of her mouth, "I'm serious." She said softly.

Dixon sighed slightly, peeling his eyes open from when they had fluttered shut and made a big show of turning his head to the side, looking over the platform they were standing on, down to the other side of the Alexandria wall. Without removing his hands- his thumbs still hooked in the loops of her jeans- he dramatically turned his head back and forth before bringing his eyes back to the woman before him, "See? Nothin' there."

She tried- and failed- to bite back the smile of amusement that rose onto her face and she closed her eyes, shaking her head gently as soft laughter bubbled up from within her, "That doesn't change the fact that something could be there."

The only reason she hadn't stopped him earlier was because it had long since fallen dark and all of the people of the community had retired to their homes for the night, meaning nobody was wandering around and would just so happen to glance up to see them.

A small smirk appeared on his face as he leaned closer to Evelyn once more, "Now it jus' sounds like yer makin' up excuses." He spoke lowly in a way that sent shivers down the woman's back.