Tragedy

The Next Day

Steve's POV:

Work seemed to take forever. Not only did they get a super rush of customers near the end of their shift but Robin kept asking a million questions.

"What are you going to wear? Are you going to bring him home? Are you moving out? When's the wedding?" Robin asked all in one breath when they got off.

Steve's mind was focused. He had one hour to get to the apartment, change and get to the coffee shop.

"Robin ask after please and I promise I will answer every question you just rattled off," Steve said as they got to the apartment and hurried in.

Rushing to his room he picked out his favorite polo shirt and khakis. Quickly changing he checked and rechecked his hair about twenty times before blasting past Robin and getting into his car.

He tried his best to stay going the speed limit but it was no use. All he had to hope for is that no police officers were around to see him.

Thankfully luck was on his side and he pulled up to the coffee shop with ten minutes to spare.

Heading in he was surprised that Eddie had made it before him.

Though he was in his daily outfit of torn jeans and his Hellfire Club t-shirt, it didn't matter.

He was finally going to meet his soulmate.

Walking up behind him Steve patted him on the shoulder making Eddie jump a bit.

"Looking snazzy Harrington," said Eddie with a laugh.

Steve blushed and asked, "What would you like"?

"A cafe mocha would be nice with triple chocolate" Eddie said, reaching into his pocket for his wallet.

Steve shook his head and said "My treat" and went and ordered Eddie a cafe mocha with triple chocolate and got himself an iced tea because he was sure his stomach wouldn't allow for anything else at that point.

When he returned he gave Eddie his drink.

"Thank you," Eddie said as he took a big drink.

Steve smiled and sipped at his tea.

"So Eddie, where did you live before moving in with your uncle," Steve asked between sips.

Eddie took another drink and said, "Wherever my dad was hiding from the law. I was born in Texas and then moved all over until he was caught and I was sent to my uncle since my mom died when I was born".

Steve looked down "Sorry if I brought up bad memories," he said softly.

Eddie just smiled and said "No problem".

If that wasn't a kick in the pants for Steve the next would be a full-on blow to the heart.

At that moment Jeff, one of his bandmates/DnD friends came in and leaned over and kissed Eddie straight on the lips right in front of Steve.

"This is Jeff, he's my boyfriend and soulmate," Eddie said as they both pulled their journals out at the same time and smiled at each other.

Steve wanted to curl into a little ball and die but instead told them how cute they were and looking at his watch said "I've gotta go but it was nice meeting you Jeff and talking to you Eddie".

Eddie got up and followed Steve out with Jeff right behind.

Out of nowhere Eddie opened Steve's driver's side door and gave him a big hug. "Hope we can do this again. I don't have many friends so it was nice" Eddie said.

Steve couldn't deny it was nice to have someone else to talk to but Rob. "I would like that," Steve said and got into his car after hugging Eddie back and headed home.

When he got home he hurried past Robin and went into his room and shut the door.

"You promised dingus" he heard Robin yell through the door. But he didn't want to talk. He didn't want to write in his journal. He just wanted to die of embarrassment and disappear.

He didn't think it could get any worse but he didn't know who had seen the embrace at his car, his real soulmate Billy.

Billy's POV:

When Max got home from studying with Jane she found Billy crashed on the couch with a six pack of empty beer cans scattered on and around him.

It had been a long time since she had seen him in this state so she knew something bad must've happened at work or after.

"Billy you ok?" Max asked softly as she went around to the fron of the couch.

He looked at her and sat up quickly. "Yeah I'm fine Max I'm sorry dinner isn't ready yet I'll get started after I clean up this mess" Billy said reaching for an empty trash bag he kept under the table for easy access.

There was no smell of alchohol on his breath so where in gods name did all the beer go.

"Who drank these?" She asked as she helped pick them up.

"The sink" Billy replied and got up as he finished picking the last one up.

"What happened Billy?" Max asked as he headed into the kitchen.

Billy started getting things out of the fridge. "I got off work today and was heading to my car when I saw Harrington and Munson in a deep embrace next to Harrington's car.

I was wrong Max. Maybe it's for the better. When I got home I dumped the last of the beer into the sink and crashed on the couch after throwing the empty cans to let out some frustration.

From now on it's just me and you kiddo. I threw that stupid journal in the trash and I don't care to ever see it again" Billy said as he continued to make dinner.

Except for the basic questions on how Max did in school that day, dinner was quiet.

When Billy got done cleaning the kitchen and had turned in for the night, Max snuck into the kitchen and retrieved the journal.

She couldn't believe how much Billy had grown and now she was going to help him find out who the myster man was who was writing him but she would need the help from the gang so she stashed the journal in her bag and got ready for bed.

She heard Billy softly crying in his room the same way he would after Neal hit him and it broke her heart but she knew that together her and her friends could solve it.

Billy looked at the necklace he got from his mom and cried. His mom didn't want him, his dad used him as a punching bag to relieve anger and his step mom was just as bad as he was.

And now Steve. Steve was supposed to be his soulmate and he knew it in his heart.

"He must've figured out it was me and wanted to move on as quickly as possible not caring about a soulmate bond" Billy said as he buried his face in his pillow and cried himself to sleep.