Study Session

Wednesday

Billy pulled up to Steve's apartment complex and started to feel sick to his stomach. It was the fact he could think of multiple reasons for it and none of them had to do with food.

One was because he had thought that Steve was his soulmate and was wrong.

Two was the fact he thought Steve was his soulmate and was wrong.

He groaned knowing all the reasons he didn't want to go in right now was because of that damn journal.

"Earth to Billy, we are going to be late" Max said tapping Billy on the arm making him jump a little.

Taking a deep breath and ignoring the snickering coming from Max's side of the car as she grabbed her backpack and got out, he opened his door and they both headed up to Steve's apartment.

Max knocked excitedly. "Wow, never seen you this excited for studying bean sprout" Billy said, taken aback by this sudden interest in scholarly endeavors.

Before Max could answer the door opened and Dustin was standing in the doorway.

"Hey Max, Billy, Steve is finishing up our study cookies and will be right out.

We study at the dining room table so all of the books and things we need are all set up. Follow me" Dustin said and guided them to the kitchen table.

Billy looked down at the open trig book and then the little bit of the work Dustin had already done. "This kid was going to need a lot of help and maybe a miracle" Billy thought to himself as he sat down.

Billy smelled them before he saw them. The smell of warm chocolate and dough filled the room.

Then he saw them.

A plate of perfectly baked chocolate chip cookies.

"Wow Harrington your the ole mother hen these days" Billy quipped.

"And if I remember correctly the hen didn't let anyone else have a cookie because they didn't help" Steve said, holding the plate away from Billy.

Catching Steve around the waist Billy pulled him close, smiled and then took a cookie from the plate releasing Steve at the same time.

Taking a bite he was amazed how it melted in his mouth and how every bite seemed to be better than the last.

"Eddie was one hell of a lucky guy to have Steve as a soulmate" Billy thought to himself trying to keep his emotions in check.

After everyone had a cookie, Steve took the rest into the kitchen as he said "this way the focus will be on the homework not the cookies".

The next two hours were full of frustration, insults and at one point blood from an ugly paper cut.

When it was time for Steve to take Dustin home everyone was emotionally worn out.

"Well kid, you're a fast learner but we still have a lot of work to do to get you caught up with your class" Billy said as he ruffled Dustin's hair.

"Hey Steve what if I take Dusty here home since we will be going that way anyways. Plus you've done enough already" Billy said helping Max and Dustin gather up their school stuff.

Steve didn't know how to answer. The man who tormented him for an entire year and never seemed to have learned his name was now standing in his kitchen, helping with work and called him by his first name.

"Sure thanks Billy" Steve finally said, handing Billy a bag of cookies.

Billy's warm smile, one that Steve had only seen once before in his life, was worth every second of watching him trying not to get aggravated with Dustin.

"Thanks for these. They are great. See you on Friday then Stevie boy" Billy said and started ushering the two kids out of the door.

"You should tell Steve about living in California sometime" Max said as they headed out the door leaving Steve blindsided and standing alone in his front hall.