Breaking Ground

The atmosphere at Steve and Robins apartments felt just like it had back at Billy's.

Robin was trying hard to keep it together but every time something went into a box she cried. Nancy tried her best to comfort her but she didn't tell her to just suck it up because that's what her parents would've done and Robin needed support she never had at home.

Steve on the other hand was just tossing stuff into a box not even looking at what it was. Billy could feel the hurt he was feeling through their bond but Steve wasn't going to show it.

Billy knew saying goodbye to the first thing you could call your own is never easy but moving forward is how they all would move away from their traumas.

While packing up Steve and Billy never let the other out of their eyesight, making Robin and Nancy roll their eyes while the teens just thought they were beyond gross.

With their journals on their respective dashes in case they needed to contact the other, they headed to their new home.

Meanwhile, construction crews started work on the affordable housing both Steve and Billy were funding all around 4819 and 4821 Cherry Lane.

Steve arrived at his childhood home first and just sat in the car because his whole body refused to move any closer to the loneliest place he ever lived.

Nancy and Robin pulled up next followed closely by Billy and Max.

When the blue Camaro came to a stop Billy felt the need to check the journal and as he did he dropped it on the seat, jumped out of the car and ran to Steve's.

Max looked at the page that the journal was open to and written on it was "I need you".

Billy opened the passenger side door and sat down in the empty seat.

"What's wrong babe?" Billy asked, fighting back the pain he was feeling from running and the fear he felt from Steve.

Climbing over the armrest Steve curled up onto Billy's lap and as Billy wrapped his arms around him he said through tears "I can't go in there. The only thing in there are the ghosts of my lonely childhood".

Billy held him tightly. He knew that when he finally had to face Susan face to face to give her the first monthly payment it would be the same.

"We will sit in this car until you are ready," Billy said softly and held him tightly.

And that's what they did.

After ten or fifteen minutes Robin decided to go to Steve's car to check on things.

When she saw the two through the back window she hurried to the passenger side where without any real explanation, Billy opened the door, handed her the keys to his car along with a hundred-dollar bill and said "why don't you take Max and Nancy and go get something to eat. There aren't as many boxes in the Camaro as there are in Nancy's car".

Robin stared at the two men and then the hundred-dollar bill nodded and went to get Nancy.

As the sun traded places with the moon Steve who was starting to ache from the position he was in finally moved his face from Billy's chest and looked up and saw Billy watching him.

"Have you been watching me this whole time?" Steve asked.

Wrapping his hands around Steve's face Billy bent down and kissed him.

Steve returned the kiss making it deeper.

When they finally pulled apart Steve looked Billy in the eyes and said "With you by my side I'm ready".

"I'm never not going to be by your side," Billy said and opened the car door.

Still holding Steve in his arms he got out of the car. Steve wrapped his arms around Billy's neck for more comfort and safety, slipping the key to the house into Billy's hand as he did.

Billy walked the both of them to the door, unlocked it, kissed Steve again and walked through the door.

When he got Steve sat down on the couch he said as he sat beside him "I carried you over the threshold of fear, next time I will be carrying you over the threshold into a house of love".

Steve didn't care if the tears flowed. He had never felt so loved and seen and with the soulmate bond, he knew every word was the truth.

Billy suddenly got up and went back out the front door leaving Steve a little confused.

Billy went straight to Steve's car. Opening the trunk he found what he was looking for quickly and headed back inside. What Steve needed to do had to be done before the girls got back.

As a wolf howled in the distance, Billy went back in and handed Steve the item he had gotten, a sledgehammer, and said "Go and break down the wall you hate the most and get the healing started".

Steve stared at the hammer for a bit and then got up and headed up the stairs. Billy followed him up to the second floor and a door at the end of the hall.

Steve took a deep breath and pulled the sledgehammer back he squared his shoulders and with a single swing he broke down the door and as he squared up again he moved to the wall on the right took in another deep breath and hit the wall not stopping until there was a man-sized hole.

As Steve walked past Billy, he handed him the sledgehammer and went down the stairs leaving Billy grinning as he started to descend.

Billy flipped off the room and headed down to a new future.