Clumsy Beginnings

"One more signature and then we're good to go."

Chaeyoung opened her eyes and looked down at the clip board. The nurse pointed her finger at the line that required ink and Chaeyoung scrawled her name down.

"Thanks, Son. See you later, probably." She nodded once at her with a small smile and left.

Chaeyoung rested her head against the wall again, blonde hair falling into her face. She blew air out of her mouth in a weak attempt to move it away, but was unsuccessful. It had been a very, very long day. Why were there so many accidents in Seoul? The traffic hardly moved anyway. How the hell do so many people get hurt when the cars are all moving at a snail's pace? Steadying herself on her feet, Chaeyoung shuffled along the hallway back to the exit where Dahyun was surely waiting impatiently.

Head down, eyes fluttering closed, Chaeyoung walked straight into another person. That made her head fly up, only to knock into their jaw.

"Ow, shit!" Chaeyoung grabbed her head and looked at the woman on the floor. "I'm so sorry, I should have had my head up." Chaeyoung held her hand down to the brunette, but there was no response from her. She waved her hand around for a moment until-

Oh. Oh. She just knocked over a blind woman. A blind woman who was quietly searching for her white cane, only a few inches out of her reach.

Chaeyoung quickly picked it up and placed it between her thumb and index finger. The woman tightly grasped the cane and cursed about something under her breath.

"Again, I'm sorry, I really should have been watching where I was going," Chaeyoung said.

"Yes. You really should have," the woman snapped.

Chaeyoung's eyebrows furrowed. She figured she would get a little bit of anger considering she literally knocked the brunette over, but maybe a bit of understanding. Chaeyoung was wrong.

"You can stop staring at me. I am not a charity case needing your help." The woman stood up straight and brushed the front of her shirt back into place. She was taller than Chaeyoung by a few inches, lean, and held herself with an air of confidence. The woman was beautiful.

Chaeyoung stood in front of her, wanting to make up for pushing her down. "Could I maybe buy you a coffee?" she asked.

The woman scoffed at Chaeyoung, "Did you not hear what I just said? I'm not a charity case. I certainly do not need your pity coffee."

"Well, it wasn't a pity coffee. It's a 'you're cute and headstrong, and I like that' coffee," Chaeyoung offered with a small smile.

The woman softened slightly, but kept the stoic look on her face. A name was called from behind Chaeyoung, and the woman perked up. "Maybe another time, if you will excuse me."

Chaeyoung moved to the side and the woman made her way down the narrow hallway. She turned a corner and Chaeyoung moved back towards the exit. Dahyun was making her way inside as she reached the double doors.

"Jesus, what has been taking you so long? We have a non-urgent call to get to and here you are, lolly-gagging in a hallway. Chaeyoung, you know this hospital like the back of your hand, what is with you?" Dahyun waved her hands around dramatically and Chaeyoung rolled her eyes.

Chaeyoung left the building with Dahyun on her heels. "You really need to chill, unnie. I walked into a woman and I was apologizing. I asked her to get coffee sometime." She opened the driver's side door of the ambulance and hopped into the seat.