Chapter 77

It was not a sudden fall, Sesshomaru thought, as in many tales. It seemed more of a gradual thing, lurking behind every discarded wish and forgotten interaction. So unassuming that until that moment as they left the underworld, that dog demon had not yet realized the parallels between his fathers affair and his own feelings towards the woman he sought to hold by his side.

He had thought to brush his budding feelings aside by reminding himself of his fathers betrayal and mortals impermanence, but to no avail. He had recognized the attachment growing within him, and now, it would not leave him so easily.

'Idiot,' his inner demon sneered. 'You really can't accept yourself can you. Your own feelings. Instead, you try to drive her away.'

Rarely did Sesshomaru's inner demon, the most basic, instinctive part of himself, take the time to speak. More often than not, whatever occurred or was desired, it was silent. Even with his fathers death, or the loss of his arm, it had only scant feelings aroused within him. But now he and it were at odds, which he had sought to rectify by coming here.

A few wooden posts was all that remained, scattered in the clearing with their ends charred and broken, and in the tall grasses, the remains of armor could be seen. Not even a grave marker was present.

Jaken, who had come with him, proceeded to tap one of the posts with his staff out of curiosity. "Milord," he asked. "What is this place?"

Sesshomaru didn't answer.

This was where his father died.

The dai youkai had thought that by coming here, to the place where his father had given his life for a human, that he might regain some of the resentment that he had once felt, and regain his control over his baser instincts.

'You thought that you had controlled me,' his inner demon spoke sarcastically as it observed his thoughts. 'How cute. But you never did, any more than a river may control where it winds.'

Sesshomaru's eye twitched. He was right, and Sesshomaru was bitter about it. It seemed so clear now.

The scent of Noro's horse on the breeze forced him to pause his inner debate. Was she here to nag on him again? Couldn't she realize that he couldn't stand to be around her right now? To hear her voice and smell her scent and-

His inner self had gone silent, and he had only a moment to wonder why before Entei came into view, and the dog demon's eyes went red.

He'd know that scent anywhere.

In a whirl of light, he burst into the sky, leaving Jaken to attend his human's steed. Within seconds he landed back at their camp, surveying the damage with ruby eyes. Listening for a moment, he realized that an unconscious A-Un was the only one there.

"So dogs really do come where they're called."

His light whip struck through the source of the voice within seconds. "Kasumi," he growled.

The smirk on the illusions face caused him to grit his teeth.

"Still so quick to temper," it said, "Even after 200 years, I thought that your fathers death might have mellowed you out."

"And you're alive," he said, laying a hand on Tokijin.

"That's right," the image spoke again. "And I'd bet you'd like to finish the job. But things won't go your way this time. I've made sure of it."

A wind began to rush through, and the demonesses' image began to fade.

"You know where to find us, Sesshomaru." Kasumi's voice echoed through the trees. "If you wish to see your little pets again, return to the place where you took everything from us by nightfall. The Dragons of the Three Realms await you."