Chapter 10

As the new moon approached, they continued to follow Naraku sightings. Though they tried to stay away from populated areas, sometimes Noro and the others would run into other travelers. The few of these souls that didn't run off at the sight of demons however, and through them Noro learned that children had been disappearing in the area, their absence a mystery that some blamed on demons.

"Demons, ha," Jaken scoffed. "No self respecting demon would choose human children as their prey. There's no challenge. I guarantee that humans are the cause of these disappearances, not demons."

"But Master Jaken," replied Rin, "I've heard you say many times that other demons wouldn't hesitate to kill Lady Noro or I." Her eyes were solemn. Noro glared at the imp, aware of many demons that hunt kids, and that he had unavoidably stuck his foot in his mouth.

Noros frown grew as Jaken struggled to speak around his toes, and intervened.

"What he means Rin, is that people blaming demons for everything isn't right. Just like not all humans are good, not every demon is evil. Right, Jaken?"

Jaken nodded vigorously.

"That makes sense," Rin said.

"Good."

Noro put her hand on the small girls shoulder, causing Rin to look up at her.

"Rin, even though we're with Sesshomaru, I don't want you to go picking flowers yourself until we leave the area. I don't wanna wake up one morning and find you missing, ok?"

Rin nodded and took Noros hand, holding it lightly. Noro gently squeezed the orphans hand and softly smiled.

Sesshomaru heard the whole exchange, and had glanced behind him to see his two humans happily holding hands. Though he would deny it, Sesshomaru's eyes softened infinitesimally.