Chapter 23

They walked for a couple more minutes before they reached the river.

"This is the lava river." Informed Karga as they neared a boat attached to the side.

"The ferry droid is fried." Said Din, keeping Juno from getting too close to the heat of the river.

"Yeah, but if we push the boat out, we can get it to float downstream. Come on." Said Karga and went to get hold on the side of the boat.

"Looks old. Will it take the heat?" Asked Din and Karga looked at him.

"You got a better idea." He asked in return.

"Guess not." Replied Din and Juno chuckled as he went to help him push the boat but it didn't budge.

"Push!" Said Karga but still, the boat didn't move. Frustrated, Din kicked into the boat. "Come on! What are you doing?" He asked as Din grabbed a metal piece from the ground.

"Let's try this." He mumbled and placed the metal between the boat and wall, leaning his weight on it.

"You guys mind getting out of the way?" Asked Cara and held out her blaster. Din barely managed to pull Juno out of the way and behind him before she started firing at the spots where the boat and the wall were connected. It took a couple of seconds before it separated.

"Good job." Said Karga. They went to get on the boat when Juno slipped, feeling as if her heart stopped as Din quickly grabbed her and helped her get on safely.

"Watch your feet. It's molten lava." Said IG.

"No kidding." Mumbled Juno. A few moments later, they heard beeping from behind them and quickly pulled out their blasters when they noticed the ferry droid powering up.

"I don't suppose anybody here speaks droid?" Asked Din. Juno looked up at him with disbelief on her face.

"There's a droid with us." She said, pointing at IG.

"I believe he is asking where we would like to go." IG told them.

"Down river. To the lava flat." Replied Karga. The droid chirped and placed the oar into the river. The group put away their blasters and sat down. Juno took the child from Cara and placed him on her knees, making funny faces and talking to him quietly, as she leaned on Din's side. They were floating for a couple of minutes when Karga stood up.

"That's it. We're free!" He told them when he saw a light at the end of the tunnel. Din pressed something on his wrist and scanned the tunnel.

"No. No we're not." He said. "Stormtroopers. They're flanking the mouth of the tunnel. It looks like an entire platoon. They must know we're coming." He informed them.

"Stop the boat." Said Cara. "Hey, Droid, I said stop the boat." When it didn't stop, she turned and stormed to it. "Hey! I'm talking to you. I said stop!" She said before she blasted off its head.

"We're still moving." Said Karga.

"Looks like we fight." Sighed Cara.

"There are too many." Said Din.

"Then what do you suggest? 'Cause I can't surrender." She asked.

"They I'll not be satisfied with anything less than the children. This is unacceptable. I will eliminate the enemy and you will escape." Said IG.

"You don't have that kind of firepower, pal. You wouldn't even get to daylight." Denied Din.

"That is not my objective." Replied IG.

"We're getting close. Saddle up." Cara told them and moved to the front of the boat with her blaster ready.

"I still have the security protocols from my manufacturer. If my designs are compromised, I must self-destruct." Continued IG.

"What're you talking about?" Asked Din.

"I am not permitted to be captured. I must be destroyed." Explained the droid.

"Are we gonna keep talking, or get out of here?" Interrupted Karga. IG held out Din's jetpack.

"I can no longer carry this for you." He set it down. "Nor can I watch over the children."

"Wait. You can't self-destruct. Your base command is to watch the children. That supersedes your manufacturer's protocol, right? Right?" Demanded Din.

"That is correct." Replied IG.

"Good. Now, grab a blaster and help us shoot our way out."

"Victory through combat is impossible. We will be captured. The children will be lost. Sadly, there is no scenario where the children are saved, in which I survive." Informed IG. Juno looked up at them, feeling sad as a single tear escaped her eyes.

"Listen, you're not going anywhere. We need you. Let's just come up with a..." din got interrupted by IG.

"Please tell me the children will be safe in your care. If you do so, I can default to my secondary command."

"But you'll be destroyed." He protested.

"And you will live, and I will have served my purpose." Said IG and Din looked down before looking back up at him.

"No. We need you." He said. Hearing the emotion in his voice, Juno took his hand and glanced up at him with a sad smile.

"There is nothing to be sad about. I have never been alive." Said IG.

"I'm not sad." He denied.

"Yes, you are. I'm a nurse droid. I've analyzed your voice." He said. The child cooed, drawing the attention of the group to the kids as IG rubbed his ear and patted Juno's head gently. She smiled at the droid and started crying as she leaned on Din again and tightened her grip on his hand while IG moved to the edge of the boat.

"IG? What're you doing?" Asked Karga as the droid stepped into the lava river. Din took the child from Juno while keeping his grip on her hand and moved to the front of the boat. They all watched as IG  got to the end of the tunnel, reaching the troopers waiting there.

"Manufacturer's protocol dictates I cannot be captured." He started. They heard as the bomb in his chest started beeping as it activated. "I must be destroyed."

Juno looked away, hiding her face in Din's chest, before the bomb inside IG exploded. She whimpered as Din held her and the child tighter.