Chapter 36

In the few hours that they've been flying through space and they've all had a nice rest, Din decided to start making repairs inside the ship. He's been at it for a while now and still got nowhere because the wires he needed to fix were too far and in a small space. His idea was to get the child inside so that he could switch the wires. Juno thought that this was not the best idea but Din didn't listen to her.

Din was currently sitting in his chair, messing with the controls while Juno was sitting next to the wall within which sat the child.

"All right, let's try this again. Okay, did you... Does he have the wire?" He asked the girl. She didn't respond as the alarm started beeping. "No. Nothing." He sighed and walked over to Juno and crouched next to her, looking into the wall and at the child. "Okay. Did you get the wire out? The red wire?" The child looked at him and showed him a blue wire. "No, no. No, the red one. Show me the red wire. The red one."  The child cooed as he showed him the red wire. "Yes, good. Now, you're going to plug that red wire where the blue wire goes in the board." He started explaining but the child just looked at the wires. "Put the red wire where the blue wire goes in the board, okay? But don't let them touch." He just cooed in confusion. Juno chuckled and pushed Din away as she looked at the child.

"Let me try. He just needs to switch the red and blue ones, right?" She asked and Din nodded. "Hey buddy, you see where you took the blue one off? Yes, now put the red one... No, don't put the blue one back. Put the red one where the blue one was. And put the blue one where the red one was." She thought he was finally understanding, but Din pushed her away and spoke to him again. "Hey." She mumbled.

"But be careful. They're oppositely charged, so keep them away from each other. Make sure you hold them apart from... No, hold them apart." But the child either didn't understand or didn't listen to what he was being told, because he put the wires together and it gave him a slight shock, a white smoke coming from the wall. Din sighed. "Are you okay?" He asked him. As a reply, the child coughed and cooed as he looked at Din, while Juno just looked down and shook her head. "Well, it was worth a shot."

"I told you it wasn't going to work." Told him Juno while Din took the child out. Once he had him in his arms, they moved down to the main hull, where Din prepared some food for them.

Din and the child were sitting next to each other on some crates and Juno sat on the floor next to the child, leaning on one of the crates as they drank the soup that Din heated for them.

"There's no way we're making it to Corvus in this shape." He said and lifted his helmet up to his lips as he drank some of the soup. At this, both kids tried peeking at him, curious about what their father figure looked like. He exhaled and pulled the helmet back down before he spoke again. "You know, I think we need to visit some friends for repairs." He looked down at them. "So, how'd you like to go back to Nevarro?" He asked. Both kids looked up at him and smiled, nodding their heads before they all took a big gulp of their food.

~

They were all sitting in their respective seats in silence that was making Juno bored out of her mind. While the child had the ball to play with, she had nothing. After humming her lullaby, tapping her hands on her thighs and chair and staring out into the dark space around them, an idea to break the silence popped into her head.

"Din?" She said.

"Hmm?"

"Did you know diarrhea is hereditary?" She asked.

"What?" He turned his head slightly, confusion evident in his voice.

"Yeah." She sighed. "It runs in your jeans."