Chapter 29

They watched as the dragon emerged from its cave, going after the Tuskens. The Tuskens that stayed with the rest of the group fired the harpoons, pulling on the ropes while the dragon tried to retreat to the cave.

"Dank farrik, it's going back in." Said Din.

The Tuskens kept pulling the ropes when suddenly, one of them ripped free from the post that kept it in place, pulling the Tuskens with it. The rest of the group on the ground started firing their weapons, trying to hit the dragon, but to no avail.

"It's retreating." Informed Din and Vanth looked at the detonator.

"I'm going to hit it." He said.

"No, wait." Din stopped him. "We only have one shot. We've gotta get it out."

They watched as the group continued shooting and throwing things at the beast. It roared and started to approach the people as they scattered.

"Now?" Asked Vanth.

"Not yet. It's gotta come out further." Replied Din.

The people continued shooting at the dragon, trying to make it move out of the cave before it started roaring and spitting acid, dissolving them.

"Almost, almost." Mumbled Din. "Now!" He said loudly when the dragon reached the charges under the sand. Vanth pressed the button, making the charges explode. The dragon roared as a cloud of dirt and sand surrounded everything, making everyone look around for the dragon.

"I don't think it's dead." Mumbled Vanth.

"Me either." Agreed Din.

The beast roared again from the top of the mountain before them, spitting acid on the people on the ground as they screamed and ran away.

"It's picking us off like womp rats. Let's get after it!" Said Vanth as he grabbed his blaster. Din followed him, taking his own rifle, before he stopped and looked at the kids waiting next to the speeder. They watched him with wide eyes as he nodded at them and moved next to Vanth, activating their jetpacks and flying to the dragon.

Juno and the child watched as they tried to kill the dragon, but nothing worked as the creature disappeared inside the mountain, before it emerged from behind the group.

"There he is." Said Din as the dragon chased after a smaller group. He noticed a bantha behind them and turned to Vanth. "I've got an idea. Get its attention." He told him.

Vanth crouched down, shooting the rocket at the dragon. It hit it in the face, making it screech and head their way.

"I got its attention! Now what?" He asked.

"You still have that detonator?" Din asked and Vanth handed it to him.

"Take it! What's the plan?" He said.

"Take care of my kids." Told him Din.

"What are you gonna do?" He demanded.

"I don't know, but wish me luck." He replied and slammed the bottom of his rifle into Vanth's jetpack, sending him flying off.

Din activated the charges strapped to the bantha, that got free from the pole in the sand. Din quickly grabbed the rope, stopping the animal as the dragon approached. Juno saw what he was doing and quickly got to her feet, still holding the child. She breathed heavily as she ran closer before she saw the dragon swallow the Mandalorian.

"No!" She screamed as she fell to her knees, tears running down her face while the child whined and cooed sadly. The people looked around for the dragon before they heard the ground rumble as the creature emerged from the sand. It opened its mouth as electricity zapped from it and Din flew out, activating the charges and making them explode, killing the dragon from the inside.

He landed next to the dragon as the people started cheering. Juno wiped her tears and stood up, letting out a relieved breath as she ran towards him with the child. When she reached him, she quickly stopped once she noticed that he was covered in the dragon's filth and acid.

"We would hug you but you're filthy and smell terrible." She told him with smile and teary eyes and he let out a small laugh. "You scared us to death. Don't do that again."

"I'm sorry. But it was the only way and you know I would never leave you." He told them and went to find something to clean himself up a bit, the kids following him closely.

~

Juno and the child sat on the ground next to the speeder while Din finished the preparations for their way back to the Razor Crest. Vanth approached them with his armor packed up and set it on the bike.

"Sorry, I didn't have time to explain." Said Din.

"No need. This was well-earned." He replied.

""It was my pleasure." He said and they shook hands.

"I hope our paths cross again." Said Vanth.

"As do I." Replied Din.

"Oh, and you tell your people I wasn't the one that broke that." Said Vanth, pointing to the broken jetpack. He looked at the kids and waved at them with a small smile, Juno and the child doing the same, before he walked away.

When Din finished up with the packing, he helped Juno up and onto the speeder. "You ready to go?" He asked as he put the child into his bag and on the bike.

"I'm ready for you to properly clean your armor. You stink." She told him and chuckled. He just sighed and shook his head at her before he sat on the bike behind her and started it.  The girl immediately leaned against him and sighed.

"We have a long journey ahead, if you wanna get some sleep." He told her.

"Pfft. I'm not even tired." She replied, but a few minutes later she was asleep, snoring lightly.