Chapter 1

I entered the hospital and searched for Sergeant Voight. I found him with his team talking to two police officers. I made my way towards him.

"Sergeant Voight," I said putting my hand out. "Detective Grey. Finally, the plane landed," he said, taking my hand.

"Chicago's weather to be blamed," I said. "Team, this is Detective Spencer Grey. Previously worked on NYPD. Ex-Marine. She will be starting today," he introduced me.

"Hi," I said, putting my palm out.

"Detectives Antonio Dawson and Erin Lindsay." I put out my hands for them both.

"And Officers Kim Burgess and Kevin Atwater." I gave both officers my hand.

"Good. What have we got on my first day?" I asked.

"Drugs," Erin said.

"Female, white, just got out of surgery," Kim explained. "No I.D. All she had on her was this plane ticket. She landed at O'Hare this morning from Cabo San Lucas." She added.

"Just how much cocaine does she have on her?" Dawson asked.

"Not on her. Inside her" Kim said. All of us shared a look. "How much?" I asked

"30 balloons in her stomach." We made our way inside and looked at the women.

"Normally, when cops drag screamers in here, we just give 'em a Haldol cocktail and send them into detox, but she started convulsing, and I knew right away this was different," the doctor explained.

"Welcome to Chicago, Midwest distribution centre," Dawson said.

"We removed 29 condoms full of cocaine, though she swallowed 30. One broke open and started to dissolve into her stomach." Doc said as I put on a pair of gloves.

"The drug leaked into her bloodstream, causing her psychosis, so I ordered emergency surgery. Never ceases to amaze me what people will do for money" she added as I looked at the balloons.

"Well, sometimes, people don't feel like they have a choice," Erin added. "Did you test it?" I asked the doctor.

"It's 89% pure. That's the highest grade I've ever seen." She answered.

"All these must be 50k street value," Dawson said.

"Easy."

"So what do we think? Cartel's getting smart recruiting all-American types?" Erin asked.

"They're full of air pockets. That's why they busted. It's amateur hour." I said showing Voight the pack.

"Cartel wouldn't be this careless. We need to question her. How soon till she's conscious?" he asked.

"Two, maybe three hours," The doc answered.

"All right, have Jin contact the TSA at O'Hare. See if we can get an I.D. on this girl." Voight said and looked at me.

"And Welcome to CPD, Grey," he said. I gave a nod with a small smile.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I walked with Dawson and Jin explained to us. "According to the flight manifest, your girl's name is Amber Morris. Came in on the red-eye from Cabo San Lucas this morning."

"Was she travelling with anyone?" Dawson interjected.

"Great question. Can I finish?" Jin said that made me smile.

"Sorry."

"Four tickets total were purchased on Amber's credit card. And here they are, her and her friends getting off the plane," he said, showing us the pictures. I gave a worried look.

"You think all those girls are mules?" Jin asked. "They are Mules," I said. We walked into our office.

"All right, our E.R. girl is Amber Morris." A detective said putting the girl's photo on the board. An aged man who was also a detective walked towards me.