Chapter 2

I swiftly made my way into our District 21. I say Trudy on her desk. "Grey, you are needed now," she said strictly. I noticed that something was off. I immediately made my way towards our office.

I entered and found Hank was briefing a case. He noticed me entering. "Grey, I know it was your day off, but you need to see this," he said, handing me a file. I opened it and immediately recognised it.

"Remember it?" Olinski asked.

"How can I not? It was my case," I said.

"Media's calling him "The Riverwalk k*ller. Mayor's flipping out on the Superintendent, who's flipping out on the Chief. None of that matters to me. Two young women are d*ad and were put through something so horrific...It ain't going to happen again." he said.

"Let me guess, No witnesses and physical evidence," I said. Dawson nodded. "Grey, what do you know?" Hank asked.

"We also had two victims k*lled in their city two days apart, and traffic cameras picked up a male, white, 5'10", wearing a hoodie following both victims, but they couldn't get a clear visual on his face," I explained.

"What about registered sex offenders?" Jay asked.

"Nothing pops. Plus, no DNA yet off any of the victims." Erin said.

"Hey, we're not waiting around for that. We get proactive. Boots on the ground. I want everyone working the river looking for suspicious behaviour," He said when everybody stood up.

"Grey, you are off the field. But nobody knows him more than you. You stay here and take a lead, alright?" He said. I nodded.

"I can brief you guys on him. But I guess it better to have a new set of eyes," I said. They all nodded.

"Dress the part," Hank added as  they moved out

I was going through the files when Kim came in. "Hey," I greeted her.
"Hey! Just her answering phones," She said. "Come on in," I said.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I took one last look at the file when Jay entered. "Hey, we are ready," he said. I nodded and walked out.

"We found a pickpocket. Got him in to see if he could give us anything," Dawson said as I nodded. I stood in front of everyone.

"So, where do we start?" Erin asked me.

"Start off looking for patterns. Why New York and now Chicago? Is this guy a salesman, and this happens to be his route? Maybe an interstate trucker?" I said. They all looked at me keenly.
"The only commonality we could find that might be worth pursuing is there was a manufacturing trade show convention in New York at the time of their r*pe-m*rder. Now, that convention is in town at the ....Rittenton Center?" I checked up on them.

"Rittenhouse, yeah," Hank said as he took the file from me and gave it to Jin.

"So, who is this guy? I mean, what are we looking for?" Erin asked.

"This perp has been elevated to serial-k*ller status. In terms of the r*pe and m*rder, there are five different profile psyches. I think we're looking at an anger retaliatory r*pist." I explained

"Why the ear? I get that he's a sadistic son of a b*tch and everything, but is he trying to establish some cred or... ?" Ruzek asked

"Usually as a souvenir or a trophy," I said. All of them looked shocked. "Sometimes they even make shrines," I said as they all expressed disgust.

"How do you know all this?" Ruzek asked me. "I made a living out of it. We must find the MO of him. New York doesn't usually have gangbangs and drugs. It's always a mentally unstable guy off on a killing spree," I said.