Chapter 3: The Smell of Perfume

Amber was driving home from the bar, after she parted ways with her friends, in her black jeep she got last year for her 16th birthday, when she got a call from Richie. He had called her just to say the hospital "first introductions" were a success and to brag about how well he thought he did in fooling everyone. Amber remained mostly silent on the call, wanting it to end as soon as possible. She no longer believed this pervert cared about her or ever did, and she wanted nothing more to do with him.

But now she didn't know how to escape the situation and had no one to turn to. After all she was the one that attacked Tara, not Richie. How could she even prove that Richie threatened her with a gun?

Her heart broke into a million pieces seeing Tara hurt in the hospital, and SHE was the one who did that to her.

After the call from Richie had ended Amber pulled over to the side of the road as tears filled her eyes. It took her a few minutes of crying until her phone vibrated. It was a text from Tara.

Tara: Hey baby IM SO SORRY I fell asleep -_- and things went well with Sam so far, at first it was a bit awks. How are you doing? It looked like something was bothering you earlier today when you visited :/

Amber didn't know what to do, she was scared, but she knew she'd have to be honest with Tara. She couldn't hide anything from her.

Amber: I'm glad things went well. Yeah sorry, there has been something bothering me I want to talk about. Could I come by the hospital tomorrow morning after Sam leaves?

Amber sat anxiously as she saw the "typing..." as Tara was typing her reply.

Tara: I could smell your perfume last night. I don't know what's going on but know that I love you and you can tell me anything.

Amber dropped her phone after she read the text message as if it was a hot piece of coal she was holding. She scrunched her legs up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them, almost sitting in a fetal position. She sat frozen for a few minutes as her mind was racing, before having the courage to pick up the phone. When she finally managed to get a hold on herself and focus on the screen, staring at the text message for another few minutes in disbelief, before she could even think what her reply would be.

As Amber was typing her reply, her hands shook from anxiety. It didn't even feel like reality, her head was still spinning and her heart was racing, and her stomach ached from how nervous she was.

Amber: I'm really really sorry. You deserve someone who wouldn't hurt you like I did. I'm so fucked up. I'm sorry Tara, you should find someone better for yourself than me.

Tara started typing her reply only seconds after Amber sent her last message.

Tara: Come by the hospital at 9am, I wanna see my girlfriend. We'll talk about everything okay? I'm going to bed soon, could we call and stay on the phone as I fall asleep? I miss you

Emotion completely overcame Amber, and she became overwhelmed with tears. Was it possible to drown yourself in your own tears? "What the fuck does this girl see in me?" Amber said to herself. Whenever Amber got anxious or got lost in her thoughts she had a habit of speaking her own thoughts quietly to herself.

With Amber's hands still shaking, barely able to hold onto the phone, she called Tara.

"I love you." Tara said as soon as she answered the phone. Amber barely was able to let out an audible "I love you too," in response. Another wave of tears hit her after hearing how her girlfriend answered the phone.

"Just give me a couple minutes to get myself together, I don't wanna talk about it tonight. I need to talk about this face to face but there's one thing I wanna tell you tonight," Amber's shaky voice told her girlfriend.