Prologue

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS WHOLLY PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD. IF FOUND ON ANY OTHER SITE, IT IS STOLEN CONTENT (I'm looking at you, Teenfic). IF FOUND ON ANY OTHER SITE, PLEASE REPORT IT TO ME EITHER BY MESSAGE BOARD OR DIRECT MESSAGES

Xisuma

The streets of the Server Capital burned around me, blood sloshing down the gutters like a crimson river. Xersis, the Admin of this Server who had gone Rouge, rose to one knee, face bloodied and armor shredded. His sword lay shattered at his side.

He coughed up blood, the stuff staining his lips as he gave me a savage grimace.

"So this... is how it ends, Stranger. You with the blood of my... Server on your hands, and... me, betrayed and... on my knees." he panted in a deep, raspy voice. I said nothing as I walked forwards, bloodied fist clenched around an equally stained blade.

I kneeled in front of him, removing my helmet. I put my hand on his shoulder, looking him dead in the eye.

He grimaced, doubling over. I yanked his face back up to look me in the eye.

"Do it." he hissed, spittle flying from his lips.

I drove my sword into his gut with a deep slurping sound. He gasped, arms trembling. I stood, pulling my sword with me.

"Still have... nothing... to say?" he said weakly as I walked away. I said nothing as I opened the Rift back to Hermitcraft.

But before I could step through, a sharp, child's cry echoed through the smoke. I hesitated. It sounded close. But it was probably a trick, a mimic of sorts.

I flicked a button on my helmet, turning it to Infrared as I slowly spun in a circle. Under a pile of ruble, I could see the shape of three children, one who was at least a year old, and the other who was  about two, pinned under a pile of debris. And they were all alive.

"Shit." I hissed, rushing over and pulling aside the bricks and ruble.

With a mighty heave, I pulled aside the last chunk and threw it to the side.

A small, moth-winged girl, probably about six or seven, was huddled there, covered in soot and blood. She aimed a too-large crossbow at me, barely holding it over the shaking of her hands. A baby boy with little parrot wings laid on the ground behind her, sobbing. Another small child, this one with butterfly wings, deer's antlers and hooves, hid behind the first's back with wide, green eyes.

"S-stay back! Or I'll... I shoot you!" she yelled weakly.

I stared dumbly, completely surprised at her reaction. Probably for a little too long.

She pulled the trigger, the crossbow bolt going right past my shoulder and landing somewhere in the street beyond. The girl blanched, huddling back and clutching to the baby, now crying herself. I must've been terrifying. At least six foot three, full green armor and covered in blood and soot. I didn't blame her for her reaction.

"Where's your parents?" I asked, kneeling down. She sniffed, wiping a tear away.

"They're both dead. They have been for months." she said softly. I pulled my helmet off, laying it on the ground next to me.

"What's your name, kid?" I asked gently.

"P-Pearl. My names Pearl." she stammered, drawing back. I gave her a kind smile.

"It's nice to meet you, Pearl. My name's Xisuma. I'm not gonna hurt you." I said calmly, holding my hand out. She buried her face into the baby's blankets. I frowned, pulling the ragged cape from my back and draping it around her shoulders.

"Did- did you set the world on fire?" she whispered. I shook my head.

"Xersis did that. I came here to save the people here, but he didn't want me to." I said. She frowned, looking up at me and saying nothing.

"It's not safe here, Pearl. Do you want to come with me? I can protect you." I said, shifting on one knee. She looked down for a moment, then back at me.

"I want food. And a bed. And chocolate. Lots of chocolate. And for Grian and Gem, too." she said. I gave her a wide, genuine smile.

"I'll get you the biggest, most delicious food you can think of. And lots and lots of chocolate." I promised. She hesitated a moment, then rushed up to me and threw herself onto me, face pressed into my chest plate. I picked her up in one arm, standing and gently cradling Grian and Gem in the other.

I walked back the the portal, casting one last look on the ruined Server behind me before stepping back into Hermitcraft with three new Hermits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, just a few things before we move onto the main story (damn I accidentally published it too soon lol):

-Some of the Hermits will be around the same age as Grian (18), like Mumbo, Iskall, and False, while some are around the age of Xisuma (mid-fourties' to fifties), like Impulse, Skizz, and honestly most of them.

-Some aren't actually Hermits IRL, but I felt like it would fit the story better to include them as official Hermits (Skizz, Joel, Lizzie, and Martyn, and representations of the Hermits Spouses).

-This is for @PearlescentMoon12335 's Contest, so keep an eye for who wins!

-There may be a few cameos throughout... : )