~I'm so sick of running as fast as I can~

Now Playing: The Man by Taylor Swift

---

Quickly, you cover your nice outfit with a hooded cloak and head to the open window. Although you weren't allowed to learn magic, you had taught yourself to climb down from here safely without it. Slowly, you stepped on every little crack in the wall until you reached the ground. Sweet, sweet ground.

Okay, Y/N. You aren't done sneaking around yet. 

You crouch down as you sneak through the garden, crawling in the mud whenever you noticed a guard looking in your direction. You were getting mud all over your clothes beneath the cloak, but they could be washed later. 

When you finally got out of the palace gates, you were free.

For a minute, at least.

You go into Bonesburough, walking around and trying to feel an ounce of normal. You look around at the buildings and accidentally run into somebody.

"Hey, watch where you're going, assho-" Your hood slips off your head, and the stranger stops in their tracks. "Your highness, I am so sorry I was in your way."  The demon nods and rushes off. Now there were dozens of people staring at you. 

"The Princex?"

"The L/N kid?"

"Is that really them?"

"I thought they weren't allowed outside.."

"Princex, can I get an autograph?"

"Still single, your highness?"

"Your highness!"

"Am I supposed to bow.. or..?" 

You slip the hood back over your head, squeezing your eyes shut and trying to shove through the crowd. People were starting to record on their scrolls. Shit.

"Please let me through." You squeak, and everybody started moving to the side to give you space to walk.

"Hey Princex, where are you going?"

"Princex Y/N! Smile for Penstagram!"

"Your highness, could I get a selfie?"

"Everyone stop recording!" You cry. Normally, the attention wouldn't bother you. But your ounce of normal being interrupted by livestreams that were sure to be found by your parents was a bad, bad thing.

"Princex, what are you doing in Bonesburough?"

"What are you wearing?"

"Do you have a date for this year's ball?"

"I've never seen one of the royals in person!"

"Can you wave for my Penstagram please?"

"Is it true you're running away?"

"Everybody leave them alone!" You hear a shout, and turn to see the Golden Guard standing on his staff above the newly formed crowd.

"Goldie?" You mutter, looking up at him as he lands, people moving to let him through. 

"Move away or else there will be serious consequences for anybody involved in making the Princex uncomfortable." He says as he walks up to you, grabbing your arm. "Guess I have to let you have a fly on the staff now, huh?" He whispers

"Really?" You say excitedly.

"No, we're walking because I'm petty. C'mon, your highness." He leads you through the crowd, pointing his staff at anybody getting too close.

"Thanks.." You mutter as you leave Bonesburough. "But I thought I told you not to 'your highness' me."

"Well I thought I told you not to run away, but here we are."

"Technically, you never told me not to run away."

"What the hell were you thinking?" He shouted as he led you through the palace gates. "You could've been kidnapped!"

"But I wasn't!"

"Thanks to me!"

"Yeah, I said thank you, didn't I?" You said, crossing your arms as you walk through the front of the palace grounds.

"Princex Y/N, Golden Guard." A palace guard nods at the two of you. "The King and Queen want to speak to you."

"I am so getting demoted right now." He sighs. "And it's all because of you."

"Well, it's not my fault you don't have good supervision on me." You shrug.

"You know you're getting in huge trouble too, right? Next time this happens I'll tell your parents myself if the paparazzi doesn't get to it first." 

"Just shut up for a sec, could you?" 

---

"Y/N L/N." Queen Emyr says sternly.

"That's me." You nod.

"Now is not the time for your petty jokes, child." King Alexander pitches in.

"Your behavior is absolutely unnaceptable." Your mom says, glaring down at you. If looks could kill, you'd be long gone.

"You are incredibly lucky that the Golden Guard acted so quickly." Your dad tells you, and your jaw drops. You look between them and Hunter.

"So he's not in any trouble for letting me escape?" You shout.

"He wasn't the one who ran away."

"But-"

"No buts. You're grounded."

"I practically live in a permanently grounded life, so what's the difference?" You complain.

"The difference is that you can't go outside your room without the Golden Guard at your side, he will be staying in your room until further notice, your window will have full magical constraints returned to it, and your door will as well after curfew." She explains. "And if we catch you breaking any of the rules, you won't be attending the Summer ball."

"What?" You shout. "Curfew?"

"10:00 PM. Sharp."

"What?" You look at Hunter and then back at your mom. "So he's stuck in my room from 10 to morning?" 

"Magical constraints are only to constrain you, sweetheart."

"I- It was one time!" You argue. "And besides, it would be perfectly safe for me outside if you just let me learn to defend myself! Imagine if I could learn illusion magic and use that to go outside!"

"Y/N, this is final." Your dad says. "But the rules will become less strict until you learn not to run."

"But-" 

"Well, would you look at that? 9:30?" Your mom says condescendingly. "It's almost your curfew, you'd better get to bed."

"Titan, I hate you both!" You shout, storming out of the throne room.

"Y/N L/N that is no way to speak to the King and Queen!" Your dad shouts. "Or your parents, for that matter!"

"Well this is no way to treat your child!" You shout back, slamming shut the doors to the throne room, the Golden Guard following you.

"You'd do well to be less dramatic."

"You'd do well to not be a bitch about it." You snap back.

"Okay, Princex, let's get you to your room." He says like he's talking to a little kid. 

"Titan, you're no better than them." You groan, walking ahead of them.

"Thanks, your highness."